Chapter 10

Chapter 10- Human Puppets

"You're from the Southern Water Tribe?" Katara said with shock and excitement

"You're from the Southern Water Tribe?" Katara said with shock and excitement. Your eyes widen at the fact someone from the water tribe lives in the Fire nation.
"Just like you," Hama smiled.
"How did you know?" Sokka asked her.
"I heard you talking around your campfire," She confessed.
"But why didn't you tell us?"

"I wanted to surprise you! I bought all this food today so I could fix you a big Water Tribe dinner. Of course, I can't get all the ingredients I need here, but ocean kumquats are a lot like sea prunes if you stew them long enough," Hama explained, which made Aang stick his tongue out in disgust.

"I knew I felt a bond with you right away," Katara smiled brightly as Sokka cleared his throat.
"And I knew you were keeping a secret, so I guess we're both right. But I'm sorry we were sneaking around," That made Sokka get punched in the arm.

"Apology accepted. Now, let's get cooking!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twig stuck his tongue out at the kumquats you offered him, and you shrugged while taking a bite out of it.
"Who wants five flavored soup?" Hama asked, and then started to bend the soup into each bowls.
"You're a waterbender! I've never met another waterbender from our tribe!" Katara said excitedly.

"That's because the Fire Nation wiped them all out. I was the last one," Hama mumbled with sadness.
"So how did you end up out here?" You asked her quietly, not wanting to upset her.
"I was stolen from my home," She admitted.

"It was over sixty years ago when the raids started. They came again and again, each time rounding up more of our waterbenders and taking them captive," She explained as she touched the table softly.
"We did our best to hold them off, but our numbers dwindled as the raids continued. Finally, I too was captured,"

"I was led away in chains. The last waterbender of the Southern Water Tribe," Katara gave Hama a comforting hug as you all looked at with with sympathy.
"They put us in terrible prisons here in the Fire Nation. I was the only one who managed to escape," Hama sighed.

"How did you get away? And why did you stay in the Fire Nation?" Sokka asked her, but Hama shook her head.
"I'm sorry. It's too painful to talk about anymore," She she's a small tear.
"We completely understand. We lost our mother in a raid," Katara comforted her.

"Oh, you poor things," Hama placed a hand on Katara's.
"I can't tell you what it means to meet you. It's an honor. You're a hero," She smiled at the old woman.
"I never thought I'd meet another Southern waterbender. I'd like to teach you what I know so you can carry on the Southern tradition when I'm gone," Hama offered.

"Yes! Yes, of course! To learn about my heritage, it would mean everything to me,"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~