Chapter 24

Chapter 24- Great Divide

"You think this is enough air boy?" You asked Aang as it was your jobs to grab food

"I hope it is, we're only having breakfast, then we'll sleep," Aang said with a smile. You saw the two siblings, but you sense tension.
"Okay, we got the grub if you guys got the- hey, where's the campfire? And what happened to the tent?" Aang questioned as Katara and Sokka turned away from each other in anger.

"Why don't you ask Miss Know-It-All, Queen of the Twigs." Sokka growled.
"Oh yeah? Well, you're Mister Lazy Bum, King of the... tents!" Katara threw a stick at his head.
"Yeesh, sibling fights, not fun," You mumbled, taking a step back.
"Okay, listen guys, harsh words won't solve problems, action will. Why don't you just switch jobs?" Aang suggested with a smile.

"Sounds good,"
"Whatever," They both crossed their arms and sat down.
"You see that? Settling feuds and making peace, all in a day's work for the Avatar," Aang grinned with pride. You smiled at his antics as Twig and Momo tried to get a melon from Appa.

Aang sliced the melon into three, a big one for Appa as he ate it. Momo and Twig whined at the portion.
"Come on you two, that's fair. Appa's got five stomachs," You sat down as Aang walked over to you.
"Not bad for a 112 year old boy, good work," You nudged him on the side as he sat down next to you. Aang smiled while playing with his fingers, a little flustered.

"Gee, thanks (Y/N),"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Woah, the great divide. I only visited once, and it's still grand as usual," You inhaled the air as you four stood at a cliff, looking at the scene.
"Wow, I could just stare at it forever," Katara said in awe.
"Ok, I've seen enough," Sokka bluntly said as he turned to leave.
"How can you not be fascinated Sokka? This is the largest canyon in the entire world." Katara said pointing at the sights.

"Then I'm sure we'll be able to see it very clearly from the air while we fly away." He smiled as he was then pushed aside by a man.
"f you're looking for the canyon guide, I was here first!" He shouted walking over.
"Ooh, canyon guide? Sounds informative," You commented.
"Believe me, he's more than a tour guide, he's an earthbender, and the only way in and out of the canyon is with his help, and he's taking my tribe across next." The man said sternly.

"Calm down, we know you're next," Sokka said reassuringly.
"You wouldn't be so calm if the Fire Nation destroyed your home and forced you to flee! My whole tribe has to walk thousands of miles to the capital city of Ba Sing Se." The man shouted in anger.

"You're a refugee," Katara said in realization.
"Huh, tell me something I don't know," He scoffed. You then saw more people walking closer.
"Is that your tribe?" You asked him pointing them out.
"It most certainly is not! That's the Zhang tribe, a bunch of low-life thieves. They've been the enemies of my tribe for a hundred years. Hey, Zhangs! I'm saving a spot for my tribe so don't even think about stealing it!" The man shouted.

"Where are the rest of the Gan Jin? Still tidying up their camp site?" The gruff woman asked with a smirk.
"Yes, but they sent me ahead of them to hold a spot." The main defended.
"I didn't know the canyon guide took reservations." The woman mused.

"Ha, of course you didn't! That's the ignorance I'd expect from a messy Zhang. So unorganized and ill-prepared for a journey. " The Gan Jin leader grinned. The Zhang tribe started to shout in anger, then you heard someone walking behind you and moved the boulders.
"Sorry about the wait, youngsters. Who's ready to cross this here canyon?" A man in a Earth Kingdom clothing asked.

"Uh, one of them, I think," You said, looking at the segueing people.
"I was here first, my party's on their way." The Gan Jin leader said rushing forward.
"I can't guide people who aren't here." The tour guide apologized.

"Guess you guys will have to make the trip tomorrow." The Zhang leader said mockingly. The Gan Jin leader fumed, then turned around.
"Wait, here they come!" A group of well dressed people walked to your guys' direction.
"You're not seriously gonna cave into these spoiled Gan Jins? I mean we're refugees too! And we've got sick people that need shelter." The Zhang leader argued.

The tour guide stammered as the Gan Jin leader walked up.
"We've got old people who are weary from traveling," He said angrily.
"Sick people get priority over old people." Zhang leader scowled.
"Maybe you Zhangs wouldn't have so many sick people if you weren't such slobs." Gan Jin leader glared.

"If you Gan Jins weren't so clean, you wouldn't live to be so old." You got tired and blocked out their arguing as Twig covered his ears.
"Well Aang, ready to put your peace-making skills to the test?" Katara asked Aang.
"I don't know, a fight over chores is one thing, but these people have been feuding for a hundred years." Aang said unsure about the situation.

"Everybody listen up! This is the Avatar, and if you give him a chance, I'm sure he can come up with a compromise that will make everyone happy." Katara shouted as you wished you had some food to watch this entertainment.
"Uh, you could share the earthbender and travel together?" Aang said sheepishly.
"Absolutely not! We'd rather be taken by the Fire Nation than travel with those stinking thieves!" Gan Jin leader shouted.

"We wouldn't travel with those pompous fools anyway!" Zhang scowled. Aang then got irate from and started to shout.
"All right here's the deal, you're all going down together and Appa here will fly your sick and elderly across! Does that seem fair?!" He yelled, making you look at him with slight shock.

The two leader reluctantly agreed and you helped the sick and elderly get on top of Appa.
"Sorry, Appa, you'll have to do this on your own." Aang said while petting his head.
"Aang, this feuding tribe stuff is serious business. Are you sure it's a good idea getting involved in this?" Sokka asked.
"Yeah. Adults, but they act like children," You sighed.

"To tell you the truth, I'm not sure. But when have I ever been?" Aang grinned.
"He's the Avatar, you guys, making peace between people is his job." Katara said reassuringly, making you shrug and let Twig on the head.
"His job's gonna make us cross this whole canyon on foot isn't it?" Sokka groaned.
"No food allowed in the canyon, it attracts dangerous predators." The tour guide told them, making the two tribes complain.

"Oh, you babies can go a day without food? Would you rather be hungry, or dead?" The tour guide said as he raised his hands to make a rock pillar.
"Now, we're heading down in ten minutes. All food better be in your gut or in the garbage!" He shouted and the two tribes started to eat their food.
"Appa's going to take good care of you 'till we get there." Aang said to the people as he sent Appa off.

"Alright, let's get this show on the road,"