Chapter 27

Chapter 27- War? In Ba Sing Se? It's More Likely Than You Think

"Look, the Inner Wall!" You looked up from you lap and see the upcoming wall that will fully lead into Ba Sing Se

"I can't believe we finally made it to Ba Sing Se in one piece," Katara smiled as you sat next to her.

"Hey, don't jinx it! We can still be attacked by some giant exploding Fire Nation spoon. Or find out the city's been submerged in an ocean full of killer shrimp!" Sokka listed out any disasters, making you snort.
"You been hitting the cactus juice again?" Toph raised an eyebrow.

"I'm just sayin', weird stuff happens to us," You nod and turned to the window, noticing Aang upset.
"Don't worry air boy, we'll find Appa and Twig," You comforted, feeling hope that Twig
"It's such a big city," Aang mumbled, making you pat his back.
"They're a giant bison and a red tiger monkey out of green! Where could someone possibly hide him?" The moment Sokka said that, you all entered inside the walls, seeing a million of houses.

"Woah... Compared to Omashu, this is an entire planet," You said in awe as the train eventually stopped, and you all got off.
"Back in the city. Great," Toph sighed.
What's the problem? It's amazing!" Sokka pointed out.
"It's just a bunch of walls and rules. You wait, you'll get sick of it in a couple of days," She petted Momo.

"I hear that, and I doubt Fire Nation is more strict than Ba Sing Se," You crossed your arms. Just as the train left, you suddenly felt a shock through your spine, turning your head to see a woman staring at you all, giving a unnatural smile.
"You guys see that creepy woman, right?" You whispered to Katara, who turned and saw the woman on the other side of the train station.

"Hello, my name is Joo Dee! I have been given the great honor of showing the Avatar around Ba Sing Se. And you must be Sokka, (Y/N), Katara, and Toph! Welcome to our wonderful city. Shall we get started?" She smiled, not even blinking.

"Yes, we have information about the Fire Nation army that we need to deliver to the Earth King, immediately," Sokka started, but Joo Dee ignored his words.
"Great! Let's begin our tour. And then I'll show you to your new home here. I think you'll like it!" She motioned everyone to follow her, making the Gaang look at each other.

"Maybe you missed what I said. We need to talk to the king about the War, it's important," Sokka explained.
"You're in Ba Sing Se now. Everyone is safe here," She simply said, causing another shock go through your spine.

'Creepy...'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"This is the Lower Ring," Joo Dee pointed out as you all were in a carriage.
"What's that wall for?" Katara asked as you watched the people in rags.
"Oh, Ba Sing Se has many walls! There are the ones outside protecting us, and the ones inside, that help maintain order," Joo Dee explained.

This is where our newest arrivals live, as well as our craftsman and artisans, people that work with their hands. It's so quaint and lively!" You watched some people with swords and watch you all carefully.
"You do want to watch your step, though," She coughed.

"Why do they have all these poor people blocked off in one part of the city?" Katara wondered.
"This is why I never came here before. I always heard it was so different from the way the monks taught us to live," Aang mumbled.
"Ba Sing Se does that, there's poor, well off, and rich. A system of unfairness," You crossed your arms.

The carriage moves further out of the outer ring and into the middle ring.
"This is the Middle Ring of Ba Sing Se, home to the financial district, shops and restaurants, and the university," The woman explained as Sokka was getting more tired of her.

"Yeah, we met a professor from the Ba Sing Se University. He took us to an ancient underground library where we discovered information about the war that is absolutely crucial for the Earth King to hear!" Sokka glared at Joo Dee, who just smiled again.

"Isn't history fascinating? Look, here's one of the oldest buildings in the Middle Ring, Town Hall!" She got out of the carriage and Sokka made hand motions to her.
"Is that woman deaf? She only seems to hear every other word I say," You shrugged at his question as Toph placed her hands on her lap.
"It's called "being handled". Get used to it," She huffed.

Joo Dee got back inside and the carriage moves further into the Upper Ring, where it was all clean and proper.
"The Upper Ring is home to our most important citizens. Your house is not too far from here!" She grinned.
"What's inside that wall?" You asked while pointing at a huge palace like place, and saw three soldiers like men.

"And who're the mean-looking guys in robes?" Sokka asked.
"Inside is the Royal Palace. Those men are agents of the Dai Li, the cultural authority of Ba Sing Se. They are the guardians of all our traditions!" Joo Dee explained.
"Can we see the king now?" Aang said a little fed up of the tour.

"Oh no, one doesn't just pop in on the Earth King!" The woman laughed, making you bang your head against the seat. Eventually, the carriage stopped at a nice house. Better than the hit you lived in your village.
"Here we are! Your new home," Joo Dee presented, and then a man gave her a letter before running off again.

"More good news! Your request for an audience with the Earth King is being processed, and should be put through in about month. Much more quickly than usual!" She smiled more, if it was even possible.
"A month?" You said in disbelief.
"Six to eight weeks, actually," She pointed out, and you all walked inside the new home, feeling weird because of the whole thing.

"Isn't it nice? I think you'll really enjoy it here," Joo Dee happily said.
"I think we would enjoy it more if we weren't staying for so long. Can't we see the Earth King any sooner?" Sokka groaned.

"The Earth King is very busy running the finest city in the world! But he will see you as soon as time permits," You were tired of her voice, which you covered with a pillow.
"If we're going to be here for a month, we should spend our time looking for Appa and Twig," Aang suggested.

"I'd like to escort you anywhere you'd like to go," Joo Dee offered.
"We don't need a babysitter," Toph said and got up to leave, but the woman just smiled again.
"Oh, I won't get in the way. And to leave you alone would make me a bad host!" She persisted,

"Where shall we start?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm sorry, but I haven't heard anything about a flying bison or Tiger monkey. I didn't even know there were any around," A pet shop owner apologized as you looked around in the pet shop, trying to find any Tiger Monkey.

"If someone wanted to sell a stolen animal without anyone knowing, where would they go‌?" Aang asked the keeper.
"Where's the black market? Who runs it? Come on, you know!" Sokka demanded, but as the shop owner spoke up, you noticed Joo Dee shake her head, making the man gulp.

"That would be illegal. You'll have to leave now; your lemur is harassing my sparrowkeets," He simply said as Momo was getting attacks by some birds.

'What the...?'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hmm, I've never seen any sandbenders or nomads around here. You should ask Professor Zei, he teaches the class on desert cultures," A student of the Ba Sing Se University pushed his glasses up and Sokka nodded.
"Right. And which of your professors could we ask about the war with the Fire Nation?" He asked.

Before he could answer, you noticed Joo Dee shake her head again, and you crossed your arms in suspicion.
"I don't know. I'm not a political science student, I've got to get to class," He got up and walked away, but tripped.

'I'm getting sick and tired of this woman now,'