Chapter 22

Chapter 22- Sokka's Suspicions

"We're here," Jet said as you all made your way to a clear patch of forest

"Where? There's nothing here." Sokka deadpanned, making Jet give him a rope. The rope then pulled him up into the trees.
"Aang?" The Airbender used his bending to fly up as you got ready to climb too.
"Here, allow me ladies," You raised an eyebrow at Jet, who wrapped an arm around you and Katara.

Twig chirped at you as you three were suspended in the air.
'This guy seems nice, but there's something about his eyes. I can't place my finger on it. Oh well,' You thought as you landed on top of wooden floor.
"Woah... nice place," You said looking around.

"It's beautiful, and more importantly the Fire Nation can't find us." Jet smiled.
"They would love to find you. Wouldn't they, Jet?" Smellerbee smirked.
"It's not gonna happen, Smellerbee." Jet said.
"Why does the Fire Nation want to find you?" Katara asked him.

"I guess you could say I've been causing them a little trouble." Jet shrugged.
"Hey, like me," You smiled brightly, making him chuckle and pat your head.
"Yeah. See, they took over a nearby Earth Kingdom town a few years back." He started as you all walked through the hideout.

"We've been ambushin' their troops, cutting off their supply lines, and doing anything we can to mess with 'em," Pipsqueak explained as you noticed Sokka trying to get through him.
"One day, we'll drive the Fire Nation out of here for good and free that town." Jet said.
"That's so brave," Katara smiled.

"Yeah, nothing's braver than a guy in a tree house." Sokka scoffed.
"I like tree houses, makes exploring fun," You said to him.
"Don't pay any attention to my brother." Katara bluntly said.
"No problem. He probably had a rough day." Jet guessed.

"So, you all live here?" You wondered looking at the other Freedom Fighters.
"That's right. Longshot over there? His town got burned down by the Fire Nation. And we found The Duke trying to steal our food. I don't think he ever really had a home." Jet said as The Duke and Longshot walked next to you.

"What about you?" Katara asked him, which made him stop walking.
"The Fire Nation killed my parents. I was only eight years old. That day changed me forever." He sighed while looking at the ground.
"Sokka and I lost our mother to the Fire Nation." She said with sympathy.
"I'm so sorry, Katara." He said. You felt bad for them, thinking about how the Fire Nation destroyed so many homes for people.

'I'm not like them, I'll never be like them,'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Night falls and you all were at a table, eating and talking to one another.
"Today, we struck another blow against the Fire Nation swine." Everyone cheers. You smiled at Jet, but looked over to see Sokka scowling at him.
"I got a special joy from the look on one soldier's face, when The Duke dropped down on his helmet and rode him like a wild hog monkey." The Duke, climbed up the table and posed.

"Now, the Fire Nation thinks they don't have to worry about a couple of kids hiding in the trees. Maybe they're right." There was a very loud boo from the others
"Or maybe... they're dead wrong," You cheered with the others as he sat down next to you.
"Great speech Jet," Katara said.

"Thanks. By the way, I was really impressed with you three. That was some great bending I saw out there today," He complemented.
"Well, Aang's great. He's the Avatar. And (Y/N) is the Delusional Bender. I could use some more training." Katara scratched her neck.

"No way! The Delusional Bender? I heard stories about you! It was said that you took out an entire village of Fire Nation in one swoop! Is it true?" Jet with with stars in his eyes, like a child.
"More or less true," You shrugged, a little flustered at his closeness.
"So I might know a way that you three can help in our struggle." He suggested, but Sokka stood up.

"Unfortunately, we have to leave tonight," He sternly said as he walked off. You felt bad, as he wasn't really getting involved in things.
"Sokka, you're kidding me. I needed you on an important mission tomorrow," Jet pouted, making Sokka stop and turn around.

"What mission?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You yawned as you fed Twig some berries Smellerbee gave you. You looked up to see Sokka and he sat on a log, looking more angry than usual.
"Hey, Sokka. Is Jet back?" Katara asked him.
"Yeah he's back. But we're leaving." He huffed, making you frown.

"Aw man, I made him this bracelet. It had a stone I liked," You puffed your cheeks out.
"Your boyfriend Jet's a thug, Katara," Sokka said.
"What? No he's not," She defended. You got up and walked over to them as you felt tension.
"He's messed up Katara." He argued.

"He's not messed up, he's just got a different way of life, a really fun way of life." Aang said with a smile.
"I don't know guys, I feel something is off," You rubbed your arm.
"He beat and robbed a harmless old man!" He yelled. Your eyes widen at his statement.
"I wanna hear Jet's side of the story," Katara said as she walked over to the Freedom Fighter.

"Sokka, you told them what happened, but you didn't mention that the guy was Fire Nation?" He asked.
"No, he conveniently left that part out." Katara said with a glare. You felt a little irritated with that, because you knew Sokka wouldn't leave that part out, but Jet doesn't feel right to you.

"Fine! But even if he was Fire Nation, he was a harmless civilian!" Sokka defended.
"He was an assassin, Sokka." Jet then toon out a knife, and laid it on the floor.
"See? There's a compartment for poison in the knife." He said while twisting the top part of the knife, revealing a tube of red liquid.

"He was sent to eliminate me, you helped save my life, Sokka." Jet said with a small smile.
"I knew there was an explanation." Katara smiled.
"I didn't see any knife!" The water tribe boy said.
"That's because he was concealing it," Jet argued.
"See, Sokka? I'm sure you just didn't notice the knife." Katara defended him.

"There was no knife! I'm going back to the hut and packing my things," Sokka growled and stomped away. You took one last look of the others and followed him.
"Yo Boomerang, wait up!" You called out as he went into the hut.

"Please tell me you believe me (Y/N)." He pleaded looking at you.
"Of course I do. I've met a lot of people, and I know a bad vibe when feel it. And there's something in Jet's eyes that makes me think he doesn't understand true revenge," You explained as you helped him pack.

"If the others won't believe you, I will." You smiled at him, making him smile back and blush a little.
"Thanks," He said, as Katara and Aang walked in.
"We can't leave now with the Fire Nation about to burn down a forest!" Katara said to you two.
"I'm sorry Katara. Jet's very smooth, but we can't trust him." He said as you stood up with him.

"You know what I think? You're jealous that he's a better warrior and a better leader!" She yelled at him.
"Woah, Water girl I think you're being hard on him," You said with arms raised slightly.
"No I'm not! He thinks he knows everything and you think following him will make it better, but it doesn't!" She yelled.

"Katara, I'm not jealous of Jet. It's just that my instinct-"
"Well my instincts tell me we need to stay here a little longer and help Jet. Come on Aang." She turned to walk away, and Aang stood there for a moment.

"I'm sorry guys,"