Chapter 2

Chapter 2- Avatar State

You leaned against the railing of the Earth Kingdom's base, watching the sunset

"Hey (Y/N)," You jumped at the voice of Katara, and turned to see her and Aang walking up.
"Oh, you two are still awake," You smiled softly at the two benders, who smiled back, standing and leaning with you in between them.

"Sure is a quiet evening, what's keeping you two from sleeping in?" You asked Aang and Katara.
"We should ask you the same thing," Katara said amused.
"Eh, the sky are really beautiful this time around," You shrugged, yawning from the days you were awake. The three of you were silent, until Katara turned to Aang with a concern and serious look.

"Can we talk about something?" She asked, making you tilt your head and Aang nodding.
"Do you remember when we were at the air temple and you found Monk Gyatso's skeleton? It must have been so horrible and traumatic for you." You winced at that memory, and placed a hand on Aang's shoulder.

"I saw you get so upset that you weren't even you anymore. I'm not saying the Avatar State doesn't have incredible and helpful power..." She trailed off
"What Water girl means, is that for the people who love you, watching you be in that much rage and pain is really scary. Trust me," You turned to face the landscape.

"When I was fighting Zhao, I lost control on where I was and who was around me. The genuine fear in Zhao's eyes might've made me satisfied, but then I saw Zuko's... and he had fear. He was scared, and I was too, because I had no idea what I did, and who else I hurt." You explained while rubbing your head.

"I don't want that to happened to any of us," You mumbled to Aang.
"I'm really glad you told me that. But I still need to do this," Aang shook his head and turned away.
"I don't understand," Katara frowned.
"No, you don't. Every day, more and more people die. I'm already one hundred years late. Defeating the Fire Lord is the only way to stop this war. I have to try it," Aang sternly said, and you took your hand away from his shoulder.

"Then so be it," You turned to grab Katara's hand to walk away.
"Sorry Air boy, but we're going to sleep," You sighed an continued to walk away.
"I can't bare to see him like that again (Y/N), thank you for understanding," Katara thanked you as you walked in your rooms.
"It pains to see yourself hurting people you love, trust me," You whispered as you laid against your body on your bed, Twig sleeping at the edge of the bed.

You expected to have Katara sleep in her bed, but your bed dipped and you jumped at the sudden touch of her hands on your side.
"What's up?" You asked her, feeing flushed against her touch.
"I'm scared (Y/N), not just for Aang and Sokka, but for you.

"Why would you be scared for me? I'm a tough girl," You smiled.
"I just... I heard from the people of the Water Tribe about your battle with Zhao, and about... what he's done to you," You grimaced at that, and pulled your knees up to your chest.
"Sorry, it's a touchy subject. But, I want you to know one thing," Katara held your hands in hers and lifted them up, making you make eye contact with her.