A Letter of What Ifs

A short headcanon featuring another Sukuita tragedy 🥰

Ryoumen Sukuna/Itadori Yuuji

                     ______________

AU in which Sukuna is in love with his childhood friend but is too strong headed to acknowledge it and confess to Yuuji. 

In the end, he had to watch as Yuuji was taken by another, not knowing that Yuuji felt the same and wanted to confess so bad.

Of course the two still remained friends, even when Yuuji got married. Years passed and Sukuna got tired of hiding. He steeled himself to finally confess and made up his mind to take Yuuji from his miserable marriage and run away with him.

Unfortunately, Yuuji died on the way to Sukuna's - unknowingly to Sukuna. Yuuji was on his way to confess as well, but Fate intervened.

The funeral was heart breaking and Sukuna was a mess. He had to force himself to the ceremony and to say his last goodbyes.

Not caring that others were there, he confessed his love for his friend, laying Yuuji's favourite flower on the closed casket.

Sukuna watched with dull eyes as the casket was sat into the earth, the stares of the others washing over him like river to a stone.

Before he could leave, Yuuji's husband - who looked like a mess as well - walked forward, a paper in hand. The man looked at Sukuna with dull eyes, staring into Sukuna's red eyes.

"Here." The man outstretched the paper to Sukuna. "Yuu wanted to send this to you years ago, but could never. He never had the courage to, clearly afraid. It's yours now."

Sukuna hesitantly took the letter, giving Yuuji's husband, well, EX husband now, a skeptical look.

"You know, Yuuji loved you. Always did before he knew he actually did. Even after the years we have been together, married and with two kids, I could never get him to smile the way you did." The man gave a mirthless chuckle.

Sukuna looked at him with wide eyes.

"No matter what I did, I always lost to you, without you even trying." The man continued, a tight smile on his lips. "His heart was yours, always had been, even if you didn't noticed. He loved you, Sukuna san, more than he should, and for that, I hate you."

With that, the man inclined his head at Sukuna in goodbye before walking away, going over to his awaiting friends and family.

Sukuna watched him go, dumbfounded. He looked down at the letter and contemplated between reading it there or going home to do so.

In the end, he took the letter home. Sukuna sat and stared at it for some minutes, trying to steel himself for the contents in it.

Sukuna finally made up his mind and after taking in a deep breath, he opened the letter.

As he read through Yuuji chicken scratches, tears slowly ran down Sukuna's cheeks. As he read through Yuuji's confusion, fear and confession, he wished that he didn't backed down that day on their way to school and actually confessed to Yuuji.

Oh, how he wished he had opened his goddamn mouth and told Yuuji his feelings. If he did, maybe by now they would be on an island surrounded by the sea and trees and sunbathing in peace and tranquility, finally free of the brats they would have adopted.

Sukuna brought the letter to his chest and crawled into a fetal position, still silently crying.

All he had now were regrets and wishes, his world now a bleak void. 

Sukuna closed his eyes and chuckled mirthlessly. His stubbornness did catch up to him after all.