Makayla (Part 1) (Liz)

~Background~
Liz has a 5 year old daughter with autism, (Makayla), from a previous relationship. Please be respectful with regards to the Autism content in this chapter. Thank you :)

Makayla's POV
Mom and I have flown out to L.A to see Ariana for the weekend. We're in the Uber on the way from the airport to Ariana's house.

"Makayla, can you read to me for five minutes?" Mom asks and I groan.

"But reading is hard." I pout.

"I know, baby, but the only way we get better at something is by practicing. And I don't think you can complain seeing as I've taken you out of a whole school day today." Mom smiles.

"Okay fine." I huff, taking my book from her and turning the page.

"Thank you." Mom says kissing my head.

I stare at the page but all of the words are overwhelming and I can't focus on one part of it.

"Nope." I say putting the book down.

"Let's try it together." Mom says, opening the book again and covering the second part of the sentence with her hand so I can read the first part.

After reading half a page I get bored and start fidgeting.

"This sucks!" I scream, throwing the book.

"Hey, we don't throw things." Mom frowns. "Try this, sweetheart." She hands me a tangle fidget and I start playing with it.

"I wanna watch Frozen." I say.

"We can watch Frozen tonight with Ariana." Mom says and I squeal and flap my hands, getting excited. Mom smiles.

"Is- Does...Ariana has dogs?" I ask.

"Ariana does have dogs. Remember Toulouse?" Mom asks and I nod.

"I don't want to read anymore." I say.

"That's okay, we can try again later." Mom says playing with my hair.

I take my sneakers off and put them on the floor, then sit criss-cross applesauce on the seat.

"What's wrong with your shoes, Kayla?" Mom asks, picking up my sneakers.

"They're uncomfortable." I say.

"Alright, baby." Mom nods, putting my shoes in my backpack.

"Are we nearly there yet?" I ask looking out the window.

"About fifteen minutes." The driver says.

"That's ages." I groan, throwing my head against the window.

"Careful, you'll hurt yourself." Mom says, sitting closer to me.

"It's okay. It doesn't hurt." I say doing it again.

"Makayla, stop." Mom says, holding my head gently against her chest.

"But I'm bored!" I say starting to rock backwards and forwards to calm myself down. "Can I have my juice?" I ask and Mom looks at me. "Please!" I say remembering.

"Good manners." Mom says handing me my bottle of apple juice.

"Do you have wipes?" I ask.

"Always." Mom says getting a wipe out and cleaning my hands because I worry about germs.

"Thank you." I say.

Timeskip

We get to Ariana's house and Mom carries me to the front door because I'm still only wearing my socks.