Split (Liz&Michael)

It's a routine they're all familiar with by now. Kaley spends every 3rd weekend of the month with Adam and occasionally a Tuesday night if Liz and Michael are working late and can't find a babysitter. Liz hates picking Kaley up on that 3rd Sunday afternoon. For a multitude of reasons.

Including, but not limited to, seeing Adam's face.

He's at the front door of his apartment with Kaley at his side when Liz and Michael arrive.

"Hi Mom, hi Michael!" Kaley smiles, hugging them both.

"Hi darling!" Liz hugs her tightly and kisses her hair before Kaley moves to hug Michael.

"Hey kid. We missed you." Michael ruffled her hair and Kaley laughs, making Liz smirk as she watches Adam tense up at the interaction between his daughter and her Step father.

"I missed you too." Kaley smiles, stepping back into place at Adam's side.

"You got your bags?" Liz checks.

"Yep!" She holds up the little backpack and Liz is certain she's joking.

"What? That's it?" She looks between her daughter and Adam who both nod. "Where are the rest of her things?" Liz asks.

"I'm washing her clothes and Kaley decided to leave some of her things in her bedroom here." Adam says.

"No." Liz says shortly.

"What do you mean, Kaley left some of her things in her bedroom?" Michael asks, subtly staring Adam down.

"We went to play soccer and some of her clothes got dirty. I'll get them to her next time I see her." Adam says, almost nervous at the look on Liz's face.

"Fine." Liz sighs. "Let's go, Kaley."

"Okay hold on. I have to get my drink." Kaley runs off into the apartment after dropping her bag in Michael's hand.

"We have drinks at home, you know." Michael chuckles.

"Yeah, we uh, we went to get coffee." Adam explains, anxious under the weight of the couples' gaze.

"You did what?" Liz asks, clearly trying hard to control her tone.

"Is that a problem?" Adam asks, confused.

"Do you not read your emails?" Liz spits.

"What are you talking about, Liz?" Adam asks.

"Oh my god, you twat!" Liz exclaims.

"What have I done?" Adam asks.

"We're not giving Kaley any caffeine." Liz deadpans.

"We haven't been for the last 3 years. It was in the email we sent you." Michael adds.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know that." Adam apologises.

"Why are you so incapable of parenting our daughter?" Liz asks, and there's no denying that it's spiteful.

"Maybe because you have so many rules!" Adam fires back.

"To keep Kaley safe and healthy!" Liz argues.

"It was a caramel latte!" Adam exclaims.

"It's right here." Kaley smiles, holding up the nearly empty Starbucks cup as she reappears in the doorway.

"Come on, Kaley." Michael says, gently ushering her out.

"Okay. Bye dad!" Kaley smiles at Adam, walking with Michael.

"Get a grip, Adam." Liz shakes her head at him before following Michael and Kaley down the hallway.

Timeskip