Child's Play

I sat on the crimson stairs of the Destiny's Bounty while watching the four train Lloyd. Glancing at Lloyd he has been distant all morning with a far away look in his innocent eyes. The young green ninja looked over the ledge of the Bounty.

Children's laughter can be heard echoing from the village below. They played in the streets chasing after a ball unburdened by responsibility.

"I see..." I thought glancing back and forth from Lloyd to the young children. This isn't the first time he has shown a desire to live and act his age. To be free without the pressure of becoming something greater than himself.

"Lloyd? Lloyd!" Kai snapped Lloyd out of his daydreaming snapping him back to the lesson. "Concentrate" Kai urged as they continued.

"Now that the Bounty is in our possession again, we can train you more effectively, but you'll have to focus" Zane told Lloyd in a kinder tone. "One more time."

"Ah, but we've been training all day..." Lloyd voiced complaining and glanced in my direction for help.

"It's all to get you ready to face your father" Cole explained as he turned to the others ordering "Now, into position."

Lloyd did as he was told walking in front of the battle ready ninja letting out a bored yawn as he got into an indifferent fighting pose. "Ah, whatever..." Lloyd shrugged yawning in a bored tone gesturing for them to strike first.

Kai jumped in the air to kick him but Lloyd easily blocked his foot throwing the fire ninja to the ground. Kai fell backwards sliding on the floor.

I sighed softly and shook my head.

Zane and Jay jumped in the air attacking Lloyd. He smirked yelling "Ninja go!" He used spinjitzu to jump up and toss both Zane and Jay to the side with ease.

Landing on his feet he didn't realize where Cole was. The earth ninja charged behind the boy sliding across the deck to throw Lloyd off his feet.

The young boy cried out spinning in the air before landing on his stomach with the wind knocked out of him. The four gathered around Lloyd and he pulled himself off the floor.

"That was fun. Are we done?" He asked eagerly with something much more interesting in mind to do.

"Oh come on, you're better than this" Jay frowned asking "What's on your mind?"

"Well ah...the latest issue of Starfarer just came out at Doomsday comics and it's a limited run. So if I don't go out and get it, it's gonna sell out." Lloyd explained truthfully.

"Last they left off, intergalactic rogue Fritz Donnegan was surrounded by the imperial sludge, and if I don't find out if he gets out all right, I think I might have my own doomsday!" He exclaimed with urgency as it was something important to him.

"The fate of Ninjago rests on your shoulders. As the green ninja, you have a giant responsibility to hold." Kai told Lloyd in a stern but apologetic voice "I'm sorry, but you don't have time for such childish things."

Upon hearing this I felt my nose scrunch up in disgust and I stood up from the stairs. "He is still a kid" I spoke up and glared at the four.

Lloyd looked down letting out a deep sigh. He knew of his responsibilities but he is still only one person. Sadly trudging his feet looking out past the railings he watched the other children his age play.