Fire-Maker

Sorla opened a map as Lloyd and I stood next to her "Your friend Zane, is imprisoned here" she pointed "In the Ice Emperor's Castle."

She turned to us "There are only two paths through the mountains."

She pointed to the map "This is the safest."

"A pass?" Lloyd tilted his head. "In the old tongue, it is called Mala-Wojira."

I frowned "I'm unfamiliar with that..."

Sorla explained "Wojira's Wrath. But you must be careful. You cannot make a sound in this place. You cannot speak or whisper. Even your footfalls must be like a gentle breeze."

"Why?" Lloyd asked.

"If you make a sound, Wojira will strike you down" Sorla replied. "Okay but what is it?" Lloyd tilted his head.

Sorla made a gesture with his arms, I raised an eyebrow "Avalanche?" I thought. I shook my head "Okay. Thank you Sorla."

I rolled up the map and handed it to Lloyd as the two of us exited Sorla's cabin. I followed Lloyd as we walked to everyone else, seeing Kai and Jay putting on snowshoes.

"Any luck?" Lloyd inquired, looking at Nya. "Nothing. It's really weird" she frowned "The signal keeps coming in and out."

Lloyd hummed "Maybe the cold is interfering?"

Nya frowned "Cold shouldn't matter. It's like the signal is weak. But the mech had a brand new battery. It makes no sense."

"Hey guys!" I looked over to see Kai excitedly running around in his snowshoes like a little kid. "Have you tried these? You gotta try them." He stopped in front of us.

"You can walk on top of the snow!"

Cole raised an eyebrow "I think that's the point."

I chuckled "Glad to see you in the spirit, Kai" I smiled.

"Alarm, alarm!" I heard Uthaug yell "They're coming!"

We looked to see Uthaug and Boma arrive with the fish. The villagers surrounded worriedly and we walked over.

"Blizzard Samurai. On the march!"

"Heading for our village. We saw them coming down the pass."

"I heard them first, Boma's hearing isn't as good as-"

"Don't start that again!"

Sorla ran over "Boma, Uthaug. Are you sure you saw this? You saw them?"

The two looked at eachother and nod to Sorla. She narrowed her eyes "Gather the elders. There's no time to lose."

~~~

We were gathered around the fire as the elders were arguing for where to go. Sorla spoke up "We cannot abandon the fire. The fire is life. We must protect it."

Kai spoke up "I don't understand. Can't you just light another?"

It was quiet for a moment and the villagers whispered. Sorla spoke to the villagers "They are new to our realm, they do not know."