I Join the Circus

(Y/N)'s POV

I don't think I've been as disappointed as right now in a long time. I had her, I had her in my freaking hands! My blade was on her neck, I could have pressed it in an inch further and asked her later, but I was so caught up in the moment I didn't think it through.

Frustration didn't even feel like the right word, this was much worse than that, though as my English teachers could probably tell you, if there was a word for this feeling, odds are I couldn't spell it anyway.

I felt like I wanted to cry, to vent my anguish at how close I was, but I wouldn't do that, what I wanted most in the world was to go out and kill something. The thought of turning a monster into dust was the only thing that kept me on my feet.

Percy, Annabeth and Grover and I were walking through the woods on the New Jersey riverbank, the glow of New York City making the night sky yellow behind us and the smell of the Hudson reeking in our noses.

Grover was shivering and braying, his big goat eyes turned slit-pupiled and full of terror. "Three Kindly Ones. All three at once." "And you had to kill all three before I got there" I said bitterly. Annabeth glanced backwards at me with a frown.

She kept pulling us along, saying: "Come on! The further away we get, the better." "All our money was back there," Percy reminded her. "Our food and clothes. Everything." "Well, maybe if you hadn't decided to jump into the fight –"

"What did you want me to do? Let you get killed?-" Percy countered back, he had a point, but I muttered "No, you just wanted to do the killing yourself, remember that time you threw me out of a bus?"

He heard me, frowning, "That wasn't my fault. It was probably a god or something." He said angrily, that got the cogs in my head turning, which God hated me enough to do this to me? I came up with another conclusion. It was Zeus. He was the one who smote the bus, but it wasn't just to kill Percy

He did it because he wanted to keep me away from the Furies, because if I ever got my hands on one, he knew I'd start asking questions, and a bounty hunter asking questions is not a thing he needs, especially now he's lost the bolt.

"You didn't need to protect me, Percy. I would've been fine." Annabeth insisted "Sliced like sandwich bread," Grover put in, "but fine." "Shut up, goat boy," said Annabeth. Grover brayed mournfully. "Tin cans... a perfectly good bag of tin cans."

We sloshed across mushy ground, through nasty twisted trees that smelled like sour laundry. After a few minutes, Groves trotted up beside me looking nervous and downtrodden, "Look, I'm sorry about the Kindly Ones, I wasn't thinking, I should have remembered, I know you wanted-"

"Grover, as much as I appreciate it, not right now. We have to get out of here or they'll be the least of our worries." He brayed again but placed a hand on my shoulder, I held it and smiled. "Thanks G-man."

For a while all I could hear was our footsteps and New York traffic off in the distance, that was until my thoughts were interrupted by a shrill toot˜toot˜toot, like the sound of an owl being tortured. "Hey, my reed pipes still work!" Grover cried.

"I take it back, this day got much worse." I groaned. "If I could just remember a "find path" song, we could get out of these woods!" He puffed out a few notes, but the tune still sounded suspiciously like Hilary Duff. Nothing of note happened. Apart from Percy almost braining himself on a tree.

As we walked Annabeth kept pace with me, I suppose it was her time for a pep talk. "Why were you so angry seeing the Kindly Ones? I mean, I don't have the best history with them either, but they really set you off. Why were you so upset?"

"What, you mean apart from the part where they threatened us with fire whips and claws? Let's just say we have beef and leave it at that." "Speaking of...Here." She said, pulling out an ambrosia square, "For your back."