I Attempt to Go Sightseeing

(Y/N)'s POV

We spent two days on the Amtrak train, heading west through hills, over rivers, past amber waves of grain. We tried to keep a low profile because Percy's name and picture were splattered over the front pages of several East Coast newspapers.

The Trenton Register-News showed a photo taken by a tourist from the Greyhound bus. He had a wild look in his eyes that I adored, his sword was a metallic blur in his hands. It might've been a baseball bat or a lacrosse stick.

After an afternoon of trying to read it, Grover put me out of my misery and read me the article.  The picture's caption read: "Twelve-year-old Percy Jackson, wanted for questioning in the Long Island disappearance of his mother two weeks ago, is shown here fleeing from the bus where he accosted several elderly female passengers."

"The bus exploded on an east New Jersey roadside shortly after Jackson fled the scene. Based on eyewitness accounts, police believe the boy may be travelling with three teenage accomplices. His stepfather, Gabe Ugliano, has offered a cash reward for information leading to his capture."

"Wait. That's your Dad!" I said, noting the greasy looking guy in the picture next to his name, covering my mouth so I didn't laugh in his face. "Stepdad!" Percy said angrily, "Dude, I thought that was a squatter living in your house!" I laughed, remembering the man I met when I visited the Jackson residence.

Percy spent the next twenty minutes explaining his deep hatred for 'Smelly Gabe' and why he was the worst person alive. I nodded as he told me the details. "Your stepdad seems like a tool." I said, Percy nodded, "You have no idea" he began to look around nervously.

"Don't worry," Annabeth told us. "Mortal police could never find us." But she didn't sound so sure. "Thankfully, do you know how many demigods and monster kids there are in Juvie? It's a nightmare."

Annabeth looked at me, "You've been to Juvie?" I shrugged, "I've been to lots of places, but if it puts you at ease, I was there on a hunt, not anything I had done. Well, nothing I've been caught for, it was a Kobalos if I remember correctly, kept giving the kids bad ideas for its own amusement. Almost bit off the tip off my pinkie."

I smiled at the fond memory, "He was a funny one I'll say that...he, you think they have onboard movies on this thing?" Annabeth just sighed. The rest of the day I spent napping, only staying awake when it was my turn to keep watch or when I wanted to entertain myself by looking at the pictures in the magazines strewn about the train.

Our reward money for returning Gladiola the poodle had only been enough to purchase tickets as far as Denver. We couldn't get berths in the sleeper car, so we dozed in our seats. My neck got stiff, so I didn't sleep too comfortably, I was awoken by a conversation.

"So," Annabeth asked Percy, "Who wants your help?" I didn't need to see him to know he had flushed and panicked, "What do you mean?" "When you were asleep just now, you mumbled, 'I won't help you.' Who were you dreaming about?"

Percy went on to explain that he was having nightmares about a voice offering him things if he freed them from a pit, at this point, I opened my eyes and sat up, if I wanted Percy to trust me, I couldn't eavesdrop on his conversations.

After I announced myself and Percy said it was fine. Annabeth was quiet for a long time. "That doesn't sound like Hades. He always appears on a black throne, and he never laughs." I shrugged, "That's not entirely true."

Percy was certain it was Hades though, "He offered my mother in trade. Who else could do that?" Annabeth bit her lip, "I guess... if he meant, 'Help me rise from the Underworld.' If he wants war with the Olympians. But why ask you to bring him the master bolt if he already has it?"