We Split the Party

(Y/N)'s POV

Visiting Hephaestus was a big mistake, I didn't need the banging headache that was still pestering me even as a soul to know that. I guess I was lured into a false sense of security with my interaction with Hera.

I mean, I didn't expect every god to give me sandwiches and I knew they'd be hostile, but I thought they'd have figured out we have bigger fish to fry right now and they'd let me help save the camp.

I chalked it down to the war being more important to them then camp, which I thought was about right, always putting themselves first. But it was still not something I'd ever have expected from the god of the forge.

"Putting others before yourself can be just as dangerous." Said my father's voice, "Shut up." I muttered back, I had enough on my mind right now, a lecture about being a martyr was not what I needed.

Anyway, the beating I had received had taught me that I had to be a lot more cautious, not only with my own safety, but with my friends as well, so far, I had just sort of expected things to work out, I had told Annabeth as much. But our brush with disaster had reminded me of her prophecy.

"The child of Athena's final stand." was a very concerning phrase that was fresh on my mind. With the threat of Annabeth being hurt or killed looming over us, I knew I would have to focus up.

Seeing them all surrounded by those automatons, struggling against them, was the reality check I needed, it put things back into perspective, I remembered why I had come here in the first place, to save Nico, and to protect Annabeth, and I had done one of those.

Focusing on the other made me more and more worried about being in the Labyrinth. I would never tell my friends, as not to worry them, but I felt weaker and weaker by the hour. So my task became harder and harder.

We had walked maybe two miles by my guess before my body began to feel like mine again, which I was kind of mad about, being carried was kind of nice, once I got back into my body, I could barely walk, which was a really big problem.

Another big problem was that, as if to spite me, I found a crimson stain of blood on the front of my shirt again, and felt myself split open. "That's just perfect." I thought as I was taunted. "May the beasts of the Labyrinth follow the trail of blood you leave."

"May my debt finally be paid, if not by new and fresh burning agony of a slow poison, then by the claws and fangs of those that hunt you, It matters not. A soul for a soul. This debt shall be upheld or spell your end." My aunt threatened.

I seriously considered splitting up from the group, if Aklhys was telling the truth, I may as well have been a beacon straight too us, a flashing one that said "Demigod meat here!" But this was only one reason I wanted to split from the others.

The mechanical spider wasn't slowing down for anyone, and me not being able to keep up with it slowed our pace a lot, so much so, even Tyson was having trouble keeping track of it, so he couldn't carry me anymore, our pace had come to a crawl since I was back on my feet.

After five more minutes of shambling along, Annabeth reached an executive decision before I could find a way to distance myself from the others. She looked at me, then faced forward, reaching her hand back and grabbing my own.

It helped me keep pace a little better, she practically had to drag me along, but she kept a better pace, powerwalking almost to keep up with Tyson in front. As we fell to the back of the group I feared we were going to get separated.

"Leave me behind for a while, don't worry, I'll catch up." I said in barely a croak, her head turned back to me and I saw one of the most threatening glares I would ever experience, she didn't need words to say, "When you are on my quest. You stay with me. No arguing."