We Are Saved by the C Team

(Y/N)'s POV

"Didn't you say that last time?" I asked, I wasn't sure if he had, but it sounded like something he would say. "I feel like you said that last time." Luke shrugged, "Well, maybe because it was so cliché."

"One on one," Percy challenged Luke. "What are you afraid of?" Luke curled his lip. The soldiers who were about to kill us hesitated, waiting for his order. Before he could say anything, Agrius, the bear-man, burst onto the deck leading a flying horse.

It was the first pure-black pegasus I'd ever seen, with wings like a giant raven. The pegasus mare bucked and whinnied. "Sir!" Agrius called, dodging a pegasus hoof. "Your steed is ready!" Luke kept his eyes on us.

"I told you last summer, Percy," he said. "You can't bait me into a fight." "And you keep avoiding one," I noticed. "Scared your warriors will see you get whipped?" "Yeah Luke, remember what I said last summer? Come die."

Luke glanced at his men, and he saw we'd trapped him. If he backed down now, he would look weak. If he fought Percy, he'd waste time, giving Clarisse more of a chance to get the fleece to camp, and if he fought me, I'd cut off his arms.

Now that was a choice that was truly like being between Scylla and Charybdis. Along with Percy too I guess... either way he'd lose valuable time he could use chasing after Clarisse.  "Clocks ticking son of Hermes" I said, trying to force his hand. I was just buying time.

If anybody could think of a plan to get us out of here, Annabeth could, she just needed time. On the downside, I knew how good Luke was at sword-fighting. Even against Percy, he could end this fight quickly, my only saving grace was that Percy was on a boat, which I hoped would power him up or something.

"I'll kill you quickly Percy, (Y/N) can die after" Luke decided, and raised his weapon. Backbiter was a foot longer than Riptide, seeing it again gave me chills. Not because it had stabbed me, if that was the case I'd be afraid half of the camp half blood armoury. Its blade glinted with an evil grey-and-gold light where the human steel had been melded with celestial bronze.

It was just...wrong. I could almost feel the blade fighting against itself, like two opposing magnets bound together. I didn't know how the blade had been made, but I sensed a tragedy. Someone had died in the process.

Luke whistled to one of his men, who threw him a round leather-and-bronze shield. He grinned at me wickedly, he always was such a show off. "Luke," Annabeth said, "at least give him a shield." "Sorry, Annabeth," he said. "You bring your own equipment to this party."

"This party sucks, and the host is whiny coward who hides behind a shield when he's fighting someone younger than him" I yawned, trying to humiliate him into dropping it. He sighed, "Didn't I already tell you I couldn't be tricked" I scoffed, "Why don't you have the fleece then?"

The shield was a problem. Fighting two-handed with just a sword gives you more power, but fighting one-handed with a shield gives you better defence and versatility. There are more moves, more options, more ways to kill. I just hoped Percy could hold out long enough for me or Annabeth to think of something.

Luke lunged and almost killed him on the first try. His sword went under Percy's arm, slashing through his shirt and grazing his ribs. Percy jumped back, then counterattacked with Riptide, but Luke slammed the blade away with his shield.

"My, Percy," Luke chided. "You're out of practice." He was right, Percy was a good swordsman, great in the right conditions but he had been at school all year without practice and even during our quest had barely needed to swing a sword.

He was rusty, and that meant Luke could finish this almost whenever he wanted, and I couldn't let that happen. So when Luke came again with a swipe to the head. I knocked him off balance with his shadow, giving Percy time to parry and return with a thrust. Nobody noticed the intervention.