I Give a Hermes Camper Nightmares

(Y/N)'s POV

This was such a headache, why couldn't this just have been in and out? Now the horse is going to beg and plead for me to be one of his happy little campers. I need to stop coming here. I don't care how many marshmallows I get to steal, it's the same every time.

I fight with La Rue, Castellan, or one of the boring campers, then Chiron breaks it up, gives me an earful, I sleep here for a day, and then I'm off on my way.

But something about today just told me I was going to be here a while, I'm sure Chiron has something planned, but if he makes me watch the 'orientation film' again I'm out of here.

Chiron led us to his office in the Big House, it had a record-player and a full-screen video projector they use play the dreaded orientation film. He also had a computer and a boom-box, weird, I thought 'technology and demigods do not mix.'

I poked a dial with my finger, and it started blaring some classical music at full volume. I quickly hurried to turn it off, but it clattered to the floor and let out a sound like a dying harpy. "Please don't touch anything" Chiron said as he entered.

"Sorry" I said, trying to play it off as I noticed the new figure in the room. "Ah, if it isn't Jacobson, and the other one." Said Dionysus, swirling a glass of water like wine. I bit my tongue and said, "Dionysus." Sitting down on the chair across from Chiron's desk.

"Ah yes, introductions are in order" announced Chiron as I rolled my eyes at the absurdity of today. "Percy, this is (Y/N) (L/N), he is a hired hand for the gods." I laughed.

"'Hired' is a strong word Chiron, try 'obligated'" He sighed, still trying to sway me to the side of the gods, "So like a...bounty hunter?" said Jackson, confusion etched into his face.

"Less of the bounty, more of the hunter. I fight monsters mostly, it's usually just picking up after the campers, whatever they leave behind or can't deal with." I explained in small words, so I didn't melt the poor kid's brain.

"So, you're not a camper?" He asked innocently, "No, not officially." Chiron said sadly, "Your arrival here is rather troubling (Y/N), I was under the impression that we had until the solstice to plead our case." He continued, taking his place behind the desk.

"Look, I don't know or care what deal you've squeezed out of the gods, they sent me here to incentivise little Percy into giving back what isn't his." I turned to Dionysus briefly "Couldn't you have told him all this?" Dionysus just shrugged, sipping his water.

I put my focus back on back to the centaur, "And Chiron think about it, they sent me first. Not including the teacher. That's a bad sign, this is serious." Chiron looked disturbed by this revelation.

"Who sent you? Specifically," He asked, I frowned, does nobody ever listen to me? "I already told you, besides. Who do you think? He's getting really uppity about losing his favourite toy."

A crack of thunder outside confirmed my story, Chiron nodded contemplatively, "This is perfect, you can tell the gods that Percy does not have the bolt." "Yeah, because that will go down well."

"Hey Zeus, old buddy, I know you sent me to the camp to retrieve your bolt and stop all-out war, but the kid said he doesn't have it...so take a chill pill and call the whole thing off, I'm sure whoever took it will give it back when they get around to it."

Chiron saw straight through me, "I wonder, if your goal was truly to steal back the master bolt, then why did you announce yourself, why not attack Percy as he was asleep and vulnerable or before he had made it to camp even?"

"Don't flatter yourself big guy, I've been trailing him since I got the job, I went to his house but the homeless guy who was living there told me the kid was gone, left with his Mom and a friend. I was willing to bet his friend had horns."