The Traitor Makes A Mistake

Annabeth's POV

The first thing I noticed as I looked up him was that he had tear tracks on his face, and he didn't look into my eyes, almost without thinking, I reached up to wipe them away, once he noticed his eyes flicked to me for the first time in a while and he let out a gentle smile.

It wasn't the one that I had come to expect, but a reserved one, from that alone, I knew something was wrong, and I feared I knew what it was. He was hiding something from me to spare me the pain of it. It was the first time I had seem him smile in a while. But I didn't know why.

I know it was hypocritical, but I wanted nothing more then to know what it was. Not because I was trying to pry, but because I wanted to be sure that we weren't trying to hide the same thing from one another.

"What's wrong?" I asked him as I rested in his grip. Mostly for comfort, while Porkpie had offered to take me over to where the Minotaur was attacking, something told me to decline the offer and have (Y/N) take me instead.

I wish I could say it was as exhilarating as the last time he and I flew together, but there were a thousand and one things on my mind, the most concerning of them being the eyes in front of me that looked duller then the last I saw them.

As the wind whipped around my hair and we soared through the sky with Percy and Blackjack at our heels, (Y/N) shook his head, "Bad hair day..." He said, it was barely audible thanks to the sounds of the battle below us.

There was no longer silence in the city, everywhere explosions, battle cries and roaring monsters disturbed the peace as they tried to gain entry into Olympus. But I pushed all that aside for now. Instead taking (Y/N)'s hand.

"Are you sure?" I asked, he nodded his head, trying to coax him back to his old self, I teased him with the running joke we had kept going all year with letters, phone calls and meetings. Hoping to see some semblance of his normal self in his response.

"Point to me." I teased as we got closer to the bridge. He looked at me with an expression I rarely saw on his face but I'm sure he had seen cross mine countless times, a face that said "Are you serious? Now?"

But following that, a smirk tugged at his lips, one he tried to fight, he shook his head in disbelief and for a second I saw that little bit of light return to his eyes as he gave in and grinned at me, but that second of distraction was costly.

There was that old saying about history and not learning from it. Well apparently when it comes to even mildly romantic moments in the air between us, me and (Y/N) had not. You probably figured this out when we spent time flirting in a warzone.

We figured this out when bat like creatures appeared from the darkness and swarmed us, a claw slashed across (Y/N)'s face and back, where his wings were yet again damaged, and just like that, history repeated itself and we were falling to our deaths.

Percy did try to catch us, Blackjack and Porkpie both made a swipe to catch us, but we were falling too fast, however this time we were both a little more prepared. Staying calm, or at least as calm as one could be while falling to her death. I extended my arms.

Despite the urge I had to flap them and hopefully grow wings of my own, I closed my eyes and waited, and just as I knew would happen, soon (Y/N) found my hands again, our decent didn't stop, but it was slowed.

I opened my eyes in time to see (Y/N) pull me into himself and do something absolutely ridiculous. He twisted in the air so he was below me and used his wings with all the strength he had left to slow us down.

But blocking your fall with a body beneath you isn't really going to make much of a difference. That was more of a movie trope, I would have told him this, but we then impacted the bridge. And any train of thought I had left the station with it.