We Sleep Like the Dead

(Y/N)'s POV

This was taking much longer than I thought it would, maybe it's because I'm me, but by my count I should at least be at Charon's desk by now, so far all I was getting were blurry shapes and strange noises. Gods I hope I'm not dying slowly.

I never wanted to die in my sleep. That was my biggest fear, it's one of the reasons I tossed and turned a lot, it was rare for a demigod to do so, but it still worried me. Well, to be more specific, I didn't want to die gently.

I would never want to die of old age, or something that took me slowly. It's why I always took risks when I fought monsters and acted recklessly. Well, that, and the ADHD didn't help much either.

I don't want to put my father through that, as much as we disagreed and I disliked him, he was still my dad and I would always love him, even if just a little, I don't want him to have to take me once my time comes.

The way my dad describes it, if one were to die gently like that, he would be obligated to collect them, no matter who they were, I know it was a long shot, but I hoped to avoid that future. That was why I gave up my eternity to Charon.

It was my dream that I would die in a way that got me into Elysium so fast that Dad wouldn't have to bother with taking my soul. Maybe then I could try for the isle. If I'm lucky. But in the end even someone like me can't determine when the reaper comes for me.

That doesn't mean I have to like it. As my eyes faded into darkness as I overlooked the camp, it occurred to me that I had so much I still needed to do. Most importantly, I had done all my trials, I wasn't dying now and letting all that hard work go to waste. Or at least I wasn't about to go quietly.

I didn't realise it until now, but my heart stopping meant I could put myself into a death trance until I could figure a way out of dying, normally I'd be fine with it, if I stood tall before I fell, but I couldn't die yet.

I couldn't remember if I'd apologised to Percy yet, but there was that. I was going to set up some playdates with Annabeth and Cerberus if I could, and I couldn't die until I see the look on Ares face when I tell him he was being controlled.

I'm a bad procrastinator, it takes dying for me to realise all this stuff. But to be fair, this was taking much longer than it normally did. I chalked it up to dad being reluctant to collect me. That was when I had a strange sensation on my lips. Was someone kissing me?

Percy's POV

I woke with a drinking straw in my mouth. I was sipping something that tasted like liquid chocolate chip cookies. Nectar. I opened my eyes. I was propped up in bed in the sickroom of the Big House, my right hand bandaged like a club.

Argus stood guard in the corner. Annabeth sat next to me, holding my nectar glass and dabbing a washcloth on my forehead. "Here we are again," I said. "You idiot," Annabeth said, which is how I knew she was overjoyed to see me conscious.

"You were green and turning grey when we found you. If it weren't for Chiron's healing..." "Now, now," Chiron's voice said. "Percy's constitution deserves some of the credit." He was sitting near the foot of my bed in human form, which was why I hadn't noticed him yet.

His lower half was magically compacted into the wheelchair, his upper half dressed in a coat and tie. He smiled, but his face looked weary and pale, the way it did when he'd been up all night grading Latin papers.

"How are you feeling?" he asked. "Like my insides have been frozen, then microwaved." "Apt, considering that was pit scorpion venom. Now you must tell me, if you can, exactly what happened." Between sips of nectar, I told them the story. The room was quiet for a long time.