We Feed Rocks To a Cyclops

(Y/N)'s POV

"I got Nobody!" Polyphemus gloated. We crept to the cave entrance and saw the Cyclops, grinning wickedly, holding up empty air. The monster shook his fist, and a baseball cap fluttered to the ground.

There was Annabeth, hanging upside down by her legs. "Hah!" the Cyclops said. "Nasty invisible girl! Already got feisty one for wife. Means you gotta be roasted with mango chutney!" Annabeth struggled, but she looked dazed.

She had a nasty cut on her forehead. Her eyes were glassy. I immediately tried to charged forward. Not even thinking about myself. But the others held me back.

"I'll kill him!" I shouted to Clarisse, who was closest to me. Clutching my dagger and ready to attack the monster "We have to get her free first" I paused, if Clarisse of all people was talking about restraint I must have been looking like a rabid animal.

"Fine, after that the four of you can escape while I kill the Cyclops. Our ship is around the back of the island. You, Percy and Grover –" "No way," they said at the same time.

Percy of course clutched Riptide, Clarisse had armed herself with a highly collectible ramshorn spear from the Cyclops's cave. Grover had found a sheep's thigh bone, which he didn't look too happy about, but he was gripping it like a club, ready to attack.

"We'll take him together," Clarisse growled. "Yeah," Grover said. Then he blinked, like he couldn't believe he'd just agreed with Clarisse about something. "All right," I said. But in truth I thought it would be better if I were to deal with the sheep herder mano a mano.

"Attack plan Macedonia." Percy said, probably the right course of action since we outnumbered him. They nodded. "Do you want me to take the front? I asked. He shook his head, "You're faster then me, get Annabeth away from him." "But I can't-" "Just do it fast, you'll be fine."

We'd all taken the same training courses at Camp Half-Blood. We all knew what he was talking about. We would sneak around either side and attack the Cyclops from the flanks while Percy held his attention in the front.

I was grateful for the help. He hefted his sword and shouted, "Hey, Ugly!" The giant whirled towards him, I went behind the monster as he turned. "Another one? Who are you?" "Put down my friend, I'm the one who insulted you."

"You are Nobody?" "That's right, you smelly bucket of nose drool!" It didn't sound quite as good as Annabeth's insults, but whatever worked I guess. "I'm Nobody and I'm proud of it! Now, put her down and get over here. I want to stab your eye out again."

"RAAAR!" Polyphemus bellowed. The good news: he dropped Annabeth. The bad news: he dropped her headfirst onto the rocks, where she lay motionless as a rag doll. Before he barrelled towards Percy, five hundred smelly kilograms of Cyclops that he would have to fight with a very small sword.

"For Pan!" Grover rushed in from the right. He threw his sheep bone, which bounced harmlessly off the monster's forehead. Clarisse ran in from the left and set her spear against the ground just in time for the Cyclops to step on it.

He wailed in pain, and Clarisse dived out of the way to avoid getting trampled. But the Cyclops just plucked out the shaft like a large splinter and kept advancing on Percy. I took my opportunity and scaled the rockface that Annabeth was splayed out on.

Seeing her there bleeding made me both angry and guilty , I should have gone with her, helped her, but she had insisted that she could handle Polyphemus alone, that the rescue should be priority. And now she was injured because of it.

"New friend of yours?" I asked, knowing I wouldn't get one but hoping that I would hear one anyway, "You know blondie, I'm starting to think that these friends of yours are a bad influence."