I Fail To Retrieve Any Soda

(Y/N)'s POV

I was shaken awake by a jolt. I looked at Grover, his face still blurry in my vision, "The truck's stopped," he said. "We think they're coming to check on the animals." "So..." I grumbled sleepily. "Hide!" Annabeth hissed.

She had it easy. She just put on her magic cap and disappeared. Grover and Percy had to dive behind feed sacks and hope they looked like turnips. I was too tired to do the same, I retreated to a dark corner and stood very still, holding my breath.

This was the best I could do; dad could conceal himself completely, he uses it to collect souls without much fuss after the Sisyphus incident. But the best I could do was make people ignore my presence.

The trailer doors creaked open. Sunlight and heat poured in. By hiding spot only obscured because I wanted it to be. "Man!" one of the truckers said, waving his hand in front of his ugly nose. "I wish I hauled appliances." He climbed inside and poured some water from a jug into the animals' dishes.

"You hot, big boy?" he asked the lion, then splashed the rest of the bucket right in the lion's face. The lion roared in indignation. I gritted my teeth, clenching my fists in fury. "Yeah, yeah, yeah," the man said.

The trucker threw the antelope a squashed-looking Happy Meal bag. He smirked at the zebra. "How ya doin', Stripes? Least we'll be getting rid of you this stop. You like magic shows? You're gonna love this one. They're gonna saw you in half!"

I was just reaching up my hands to choke the life out of this man and enjoy it as I did when there was a loud 'knock, knock, knock' on the side of the trailer. The trucker inside with us yelled, "What do you want, Eddie?"

A voice outside, Eddie's apparently, shouted back, "Maurice? What'd ya say?" "What are you banging for?" 'Knock, knock, knock.' Outside, Eddie yelled, "What banging?" Our guy Maurice rolled his eyes and went back outside, cursing at Eddie for being an idiot.

A second later, Annabeth appeared next to me. She must've done the banging to get Maurice out of the trailer. She said, "This transport business can't be legal." "No kidding," Grover said. He paused, as if listening. "The lion says these guys are animal smugglers!"

"I've heard enough." I said, taking a few steps and jumping off the back of the truck, the shadows following behind me, reaching for an embrace, "Time to do my duty as an upstanding citizen."

Eddie and Maurice were still yelling at each other, but I knew they'd be coming inside to torment the animals again any minute. They both turned in horror as they saw a shadow cloaked teenager jump out of their vehicle.

I glared at them, grabbing both by the neck with either hand, the shadows wrapped around them, obeying me. I looked around to find a nice, secluded spot to beat the life out of them in. "Wha- Who are you-" They choked out.

"You're about to find out. I'm going to give you a lesson you're never going to forget" I said as I leaned into them harder, using all my power to siphon the life out of them. I carried them into an alley.

"Don't worry, I'm sure you'll receive your punishment one day, but for now, I'll give it you." I growled, at times like this I had to stop myself from taking Percy's advice and trying to rip someone's soul out of their body.

Tourists seem to have some very strange stories about screams echoing up and down the Las Vegas Strip that night. I only stopped when my father's voice appeared in my head to stop me from pushing it too far.

"It is not their time!" He stressed. "Of course it's not their time, I'm not finished with them yet." I countered, massaging my knuckles. But I relented. Physically at least.  "What'll it be boys, hunted by albino lions all eternity without sleep, food and water? Or ripped apart by a whole pride forever? Take your pick."