We Walk To The End Together

(Y/N)'s POV

I would hate to give the false impression that after the losses we sustained at the battle of Zeus's fist, we all just moved on with our lives. Because it wasn't that simple, the camp was torn apart by it, morale had never been lower and we even had some people defect to Kronos, shocked by the power his side held.

Those of us that remained were not the same, everyone was jumpy and irritable, there were fights between campers almost daily and despite every effort nothing seemed to ever go back to the way it was.

Whether it be empty bunks in cabins or an added quietness at dinner, there always seemed to be something that reminded us that they were gone. It got to the point where everyone in camp was finding a different way to distract themselves.

It was a guise of normality. The daily activities continued: archery, rock climbing, pegasus riding. We played capture the flag, while all avoided Zeus's Fist. We sang at the campfire and raced chariots and played practical jokes on the other cabins.

But it took a very long time to get back to anything even close to usual camp spirit. It took almost all summer in fact, I wish I could have said that Annabeth and I were the exception, but she and I pretty much skirted around each other.

She was delving into Daedalus's work, but she would never let me see what exactly, not that it mattered, we both knew she was searching for a way to liberate Luke from Kronos, because of that, I was glad to be with her, but it also kind of hurt, and it hurt when I wasn't with her, too.

"Having a beating heart sucks!" I said to Mrs. O'Leary, after we had played 'Get the Greek' all afternoon and she slumped down, just as tired and sad as I was. She would still howl at night when she got lonely for her old master.

I did manage to pry Annabeth's head out of the laptop a few times, but I think all those times were just too painful for her to keep looking at it. Like the fourth of July fireworks for example. One of the only nights I managed to free up some of her time.

We laughed, we joked, we marvelled at the dazzling displays, we kissed a little, played the question game, which had become a little routine by now, and tried not to pay attention the the ten other couples on the beach who were having dates of their own.

But within two days she was back to that stupid laptop, which admittedly I had the urge to break, but I think Annabeth would do a lot more then dump me if that were ever to happen. The next time she re-emerged, was the last day of camp.

Percy's POV

August turned so hot the strawberries started baking in the fields. Finally, the last day of camp arrived. The standard form letter appeared on my bed after breakfast, warning me that the cleaning harpies would devour me if I stayed past noon.

At ten o'clock I stood on the top of Half-Blood Hill, waiting for the camp van that would take me into the city. I'd made arrangements to leave Mrs. O'Leary at camp, where Chiron promised she'd be looked after. Tyson, (Y/N) and I would take turns visiting her during the year.

I hoped Annabeth would be riding into Manhattan with me, but she only came to see me off. She said she'd arranged to stay at camp a little longer. She would tend to Chiron until his leg was fully recovered, and keep studying Daedalus's laptop, which had engrossed her for the last two months.

Then she would head back to her father's place in San Francisco. "There's a private school out there that I'll be going to," she said. "I'll probably hate it, but . . ." She shrugged. "Yeah, well, call me, okay?" "Sure," she said half-heartedly.

(Y/N) flew over from the Hephaestus cabin to join us too, holding the arrow in his hand that he had been strangely attached to since the battle, he mostly said the same thing Annabeth did, that he'd miss me, not to die, stuff like that.