I Am Threatened With a Sunburn

(Y/N)'s POV

We were crossing the Potomac when we spotted the helicopter. It was a sleek, black military model just like the one we'd seen at Westover Hall. And it was coming straight toward us. "I can do it!" I cried, "You cannot! Cease this foolishness,"

"This is no time for jokes you simpleton!" Zoe argued as she honked the horn like it owed her money. "Do I look like I'm not serious?" I said as I dangled out of the back of the van, trying to line up a shot. This was going to be awesome.

As Grover held onto my legs and I looked up at out pursuers I chanted, "Ka." Zoe skidded through a bus lane, "Me" I continued as we barrelled down the road at terrifyingly insane speeds and my life literally flashed before my eyes.

"Ha" I said as my final attack began to form in my hands, "Me" It was then that things went wrong, as Zoe took a sharp turn at speeds that would give traffic cops a hernia, the door of the van hit me in the wrist.

As I screamed in pain, my aim was knocked off and I ended up creating a crater in the countryside, Grover heaved me inside, "Or at least I would if you could drive straight!" "They know the van," I said. "We have to ditch it."

Zoe swerved into the fast lane. The helicopter was gaining. "Maybe the military will shoot it down," Grover said hopefully. "The military probably thinks it's one of theirs," Percy said. "How can the General use mortals, anyway?"

"Mercenaries," Zoe said bitterly. "It is distasteful, but many mortals will fight for any cause as long as they are paid." "But don't these mortals see who they're working for?" he asked. "Don't they notice all the monsters around them?" Zoe shook her head.

"I do not know how much they see through the Mist. I doubt it would matter to them if they knew the truth. Sometimes mortals can be more horrible than monsters." The helicopter kept coming, making a lot better time than we were through D.C. traffic.

Thalia closed her eyes and prayed hard. "Hey, Dad. A lightning bolt would be nice about now. Please?" But the sky stayed gray and snowy. No sign of a helpful thunderstorm. "Now there's a surprise, no help when you really need him. What a shock." I scoffed.

"Shut up" Thalia said, almost pouting, "What? Did I strike a nerve. Did I shock you?" I laughed, she glared at me, we were failing to find an escape route until one of us came up with something ingenious. "There!" Bianca said. "That parking lot!"

"We'll be trapped," Zoe said. "Trust me," Bianca said. Zoe shot across two lanes of traffic and into a mall parking lot on the south bank of the river. We left the van and followed Bianca down some steps.

"Subway entrance," Bianca said. "Let's go south. Alexandria." "Anything," Thalia agreed. We bought tickets and got through the turnstiles, looking behind us for any signs of pursuit. A few minutes later we were safely aboard a southbound train, riding away from D.C.

As our train came above ground, we could see the helicopter circling the parking lot, but it didn't come after us. Grover let out a sigh. "Nice job, Bianca, thinking of the subway." Bianca looked pleased.

"Yeah, well. I saw that station when Nico and I came through last summer. I remember being really surprised to see it, because it wasn't here when we used to live in D.C." Grover frowned. "New? But that station looked really old."

"I guess," Bianca said. "But trust me, when we lived here as little kids, there was no subway." Thalia sat forward. Now, I knew nothing about D.C., but I didn't see how their whole subway system could be less than twelve years old.

I guess everyone else was thinking the same thing, because they looked pretty confused. "Wait a minute. No subway at all?" Bianca nodded. This was going to be hard to explain, but hopefully Zoe and Percy would grasp the concept pretty well.