The TV Plays Tricks on Us

(Y/N)'s POV

"A half-blood of the eldest dogs . . ." "Er, Percy?" Annabeth interrupted. "That's gods. Not dogs." "Oh, right," he said. I felt his pain. The more nervous I am, the worse my reading gets, and Percy was understandably tense. "A half-blood of the eldest gods . . . shall reach sixteen against all odds . . ."

He hesitated, reluctant to read on, to ease his nerves I tried to add some levity, "Isn't it kinda weird...a great prophecy of the Olympian gods, written in English" I stared at Annabeth, who stuck out her tongue quickly, "-and not Ancient Greek. Y'know, for us slow readers."

Percy almost cracked a smile, but instead swallowed a lump in his throat and carried on reading, "And see the world in endless sleep, The hero's soul, cursed blade shall reap." He said and I couldn't help but remember that cold night outside of Percy's apartment, where I had almost killed him.

"Percy," Chiron urged. "Read the rest." He was shaken by Chiron's voice and spoke the last two lines. "A single choice shall. . . shall end his days. Olympus to per—pursue—" "Preserve," Annabeth said gently. "It means to save."

"I know what it means," he grumbled. "Olympus to preserve or raze." The room was silent. Finally Connor Stoll said, "Raise is good, isn't it?" "Depending on your perspective," I said bitterly, he frowned at me.

"Not raise," Silena said. Her voice was hollow, but I was startled to hear her speak at all. "R-a-z-e means destroy." "Obliterate," Annabeth said. "Annihilate. Turn to rubble." "Got it." Percy said, looking clammy "Thanks."

Everybody was looking at Percy with concern, or pity, or maybe a little fear. Personally, I didn't see the concern, much worse was coming to Olympus's front door, regardless of Percy's prophecy. "I'm gonna be honest Percy, that wasn't as bad as I remember."

About twenty eyes all fell on me, glares so cold I actually felt a little chilly. Maybe I was going about this the wrong way, but I was trying to make sure he didn't freak out, my dad once told me that we couldn't try and interpret our prophecies, because it ended badly in most cases.

So I was trying to make sure Percy didn't make the mistake I did, it was a strange way to keep him safe. But if he overthought this, he would cement it, like I had, every way I had tried to branch off from my prophecy, I had just played into it. I wouldn't let Percy.

He scoffed, "Easy for you to say." Zoe elbowed me, that gave me an idea that could spark some hope, "Well, I'm just saying, dying doesn't-" I stopped myself, a difficult feat for me most days, but I was suddenly aware of who was in the room, and decided not to get into that topic.

"I just mean...you've got some wiggle room in there, a lot of 'or's." Annabeth tried to help me get my point across, coming off as much more articulate and gentle. But nobody else noticed her shaking hands. "Percy. You know prophecies always have double meanings. It might not literally mean you die."

"Sure," he said. "A single choice shall end his days. That has tons of meanings, right?" "Well not with that attitude." I sighed, Chiron closed his eyes as if he were saying a prayer.

In horse form, his head almost brushed the lights in the rec room. "You see now, Percy, why we thought it best not to tell you the whole prophecy. You've had enough on your shoulders—" "Without realizing I was going to die in the end anyway?" I said. "Yeah, I get it."

"Maybe we can stop it," Jake Mason offered. "The hero's soul, cursed blade shall reap. Maybe we could find this cursed blade and destroy it. Sounds like Kronos's scythe, right?"

I hadn't thought about that, "Loophole." I muttered, but then remembered that I should probably be warning Percy about those too. "Perhaps we should let Percy think about these lines," Chiron said. "He needs time—"