I Lose to The Power of Shiny

Percy's POV

You wouldn't believe how fast a ship can sink. The Queen Anne's Revenge creaked and groaned and listed forward like it was going down a playground slide. "Clarisse I'm gonna kill you!" Was the last thing I heard from my friends as the ship took on water

I cursed, willing the sea to push us faster, but the ship's masts were already going under. "Dive!" I told Tyson. And as another rock sailed over our heads, we plunged underwater. My friends were sinking fast, trying to swim, without luck, in the bubbly trail of the ship's wreckage.

Not many people realize that when a ship goes down, it acts like a sinkhole, pulling down everything around it. Clarisse was a strong swimmer, but even she wasn't making any progress. Grover frantically kicked with his hooves. Annabeth was hanging on to the Fleece, which flashed in the water like a wave of new pennies.

I swam toward them, knowing that I might not have the strength to pull my friends out. Worse, pieces of timber were swirling around them; none of my power with water would help if I got whacked on the head by a beam.

"We need help," I thought.  "Yes." Tyson's voice, loud and clear in my head. I looked over at him, startled. I'd heard Nereids and other water spirits speak to me underwater before, but it never occurred to me...Tyson was a son of Poseidon. We could communicate with each other.

"Rainbow," Tyson said. I nodded, then closed my eyes and concentrated, adding my voice to Tyson's: "RAINBOW! We need you!" Immediately, shapes shimmered in the darkness below—three horses with fish tails, galloping upward faster than dolphins.

Rainbow and his friends glanced in our direction and seemed to read our thoughts. They whisked into the wreckage, and a moment later burst upward in a cloud of bubbles—Grover, Annabeth, (Y/N), and Clarisse each clinging to the neck of a hippocampus.

Rainbow, the largest, had Clarisse. He raced over to us and allowed Tyson and I to grab hold of his mane. His friend who bore Annabeth also carried (Y/N), since the water was healing me and they were both the most injured.

We broke the surface of the water and raced away from Polyphemus's island. Behind us, I could hear the Cyclops roaring in triumph, "I did it! I finally sank Nobody!" I hoped he never found out he was wrong.

We skimmed across the sea as the island shrank to a dot and then disappeared. "Did it," Annabeth muttered in exhaustion. "We..." She slumped against the neck of the hippocampus and instantly fell asleep. "Yeah, we did" (Y/N) smiled, before falling back onto the hippocampus and roaring at the sky in victory. "WE DID IT!"

I didn't know how far the hippocampi could take us. I didn't know where we were going. But I said a silent prayer of thanks. Which reminded me...I still owed the gods a debt. "You're a genius," I told Annabeth quietly. Then I put my head against the my ride and before I knew it, I was asleep, too.

(Y/N)'s POV

"Wake up." Salt water splashed my face. Annabeth was shaking my shoulder. In the distance, the sun was setting behind a city skyline. Every bone in my body ached, I was drenched down to my soul, but none of that mattered when I saw her grinning down at me.

I smiled back, overjoyed to see that the colour had fully returned to her face and she had no injuries I could see. "Wow, turns out beauty sleep does you some good." I commented, teasing her like our time on the Princess Andromeda. She scowled at me, but still retained her smile.

"I'm just glad you're still okay" I said, trying not to show how flushed I was. "Me too" she smiled, taking off the fleece and laying it over my leg, instantly it felt better, like it was wrapped in the worlds fanciest and most expensive heat wrap.