We Burn The Shrouds

(Y/N)'s POV

As soon as the battle was essentially over, as my army of ghosts dispersed into the wind to be at peace again and the spirits had gotten their revenge on the people I had deemed fit to unleash them on, all the stuff I saw started to sink in.

The danger I had put myself in by doing what I did was the first thing to hit me, my sore and aching muscles were a sign of that, but as I looked around me for a second, at the scene of utter devastation I had left behind, I began to come to terms with it.

I wanted to cry, I wanted to sleep for a year, I was both tired enough that I wanted to pass out, and alert enough that I never wanted to sleep again. I was still in battle mode, my head on a swivel and my breaths coming out sharply and quickly not to waste time.

My heart was hammering at my chest like it was owed money, which was still rather slow for normal people, but it made me feel on edge, like I was still about to be attacked at any moment. I looked at the crater where Zeus's fist used to be.

The bits of rock that were big enough had fallen into the crater, conjuring up the image of someone trying to fill a swimming pool with boulders, rocks and gravel. But I was still unsure, I didn't feel safe.

I eyed the former Labyrinth entrance suspiciously, waiting for a rumble that never came and a enemy that wasn't here, the first thing to shut me out of this way of thinking was a voice, a voice that alerted me to the fact my ears had been ringing until I heard it.

It was calling my name, the sound seemed to fade in like one of those war movies, huh, I always thought that was a little, silly I guess I could eat my words. "(Y/N)...(Y/N)!" It called, someone was shaking me.

I turned my head and smiled tiredly at Annabeth, she smiled back with tears in her eyes, "It's over, we're safe." She said, immediately drawing parallels to my time fighting the god of the forge.

Again, I just nodded vaguely, waiting for my other senses to kick back in as she stood me up, making me realise the strain of controlling my newly dead army had made me collapse to the floor.

She pulled me into a celebratory hug, and as my hand brushed against her back a I tried to wrap my arms around her, it was like the world had come back into focus again, like I was connected to the living not the dead again. And she pulled me in the direction of Chiron.

As a comfort to myself, as Annabeth, Percy, Grover and I all ran over to Chiron to check if he was okay after he was attacked, I held Annabeth's hand, to ground myself, because although the battle was over, I could feel my powers swelling, and for once, that wasn't a good thing.

I felt them stirring, the panic was setting in, the confusion and regret of the dead lingered in the air, and although my father had done his job, I was sure there was more I could do to help them, but one thing at a time, first I focused on the living.

"Are you all right?" Percy asked Chiron as he was lying on his side, trying in vain to get up. "How embarrassing," he muttered. "I think I will be fine. Fortunately, we do not shoot centaurs with broken . . . Ow! . . . broken legs."

"Well, that depends, are you're going to keep showing the new campers that orientation video?" I asked, pointing my empty weapon at him as I smiled. He rolled his eyes at me, only to then let his eyes fall on me and Annabeth holding hands.

I swore I saw a smile flash on his face for a second, but it may have just been a grimace of pain. "You need help," Annabeth said. "I'll get a medic from Apollo's cabin." "Or a vet." I mumbled, they both frowned at me. "No," Chiron insisted. "There are more serious injuries to attend to."

Saying that, he looked at me, for a second I was worried I had a serious injury I hadn't noticed, and in a way I did, but Chiron was very perceptive, and simply asked me, "Do you wish to be escorted away?"