The Stars Begin Falling

(Y/N)'s POV

The first thing I did was look towards Silena, while asking what I had missed, but in reality I was asking her if she had told them yet. She averted her gaze, which I took to mean no, Silena cocked her head, she was trying to figure out if I was okay.

She and Zoe muttered words of encouragement to Annabeth as Will got done with his initial cleansing of the wound. Not that I could even look at her right now. Because I feared if I did I would throw her off the roof. Luckily before I could something else distracted me.

Annabeth's wound. Will cleaned it out with the godly drink while I held Annabeth's hand. "Ow," she said. "Ow, ow!" She gripped my fingers so tight they turned purple, but she stayed still, like Will asked.

"Annabeth . . ." I choked up as I looked at the poison seeped into her wound. And thought about the fact she'd taken that knife for me. How could I have let that happen? A mix of both guilt and relief washed over me.

I was relieved that she was going to be okay, but also felt an overwhelming sense of responsibility, I don't know why, but Ethan was trying to stab me, so it was because of me she was in this position.

I looked into her eyes and saw how tired they were, I rushed to kneel closer to her, Zoe shuffling away to give me the space to, I wanted to ask her why she would do that, but I knew why. My heart felt like it was weighed down by an anchor.

Despite having absolute proof that she wouldn't die and was in no immediate mortal danger, in the form of the numbers popping into my head, I still ignored them, because all I saw was the girl I loved, injured, and that was more concerning.

"I'm right here, I'm with you." I said, it was the only comforting thing I could think of, I didn't exactly feel comfortable like this, it was too familiar, looking at someone I loved struggle through painful moments while I sat at their bedside.

"I can see that you dork." Annabeth sighed as beads of sweat rolled down her face. She tried to smile but had to grit her teeth, the knife wound wasn't serious, and Will had already assured us that he could stop the poison from spreading, but just seeing her hurt panicked me for a second.

Something about what I saw before me threw me off a lot more then finding her holding the sky or seeing her dropped by Polyphemus. My hands were shaking almost as much as hers and I could feel the rate of my breathing steadily increase.

The demigods shuffled back inside. Jake Mason grabbed Percy's shoulder as he was leaving. "We'll talk later, but it's under control. I'm using Annabeth's shield to keep an eye on things. The enemy withdrew at sunrise; not sure why."

"We've got a lookout at each bridge and tunnel." "Thanks, man," I said. He nodded. "Just take your time." He closed the terrace doors behind him, leaving Silena, Annabeth, Percy and me alone. Silena pressed a cool cloth to Annabeth's forehead.

"This is all my fault." She said, I almost absentmindedly said "Yeah." But kept quiet. "No," Annabeth said weakly. "Silena, how is it your fault?" I glanced at the daughter of Aphrodite, like almost a challenge to tell them, but she didn't.

"I've never been any good at camp," she murmured. "Not like you two or Percy. If I was a better fighter . . ." Her mouth trembled. Her expression reminded me of glass—like she might break any minute.

"You're a great camper," Percy told Silena. "You're the best pegasus rider we have. And you get along with people. Believe me, anyone who can make friends with Clarisse has talent." She stared at him like he'd just given her an idea.

"That's it! We need the Ares cabin. I can talk to Clarisse. I know I can convince her to help us." "Whoa, Silena. Even if you could get off the island, Clarisse is pretty stubborn. Once she gets angry—"