4. My teacher

(Art by Dexipher)

4. My Teacher

On my fifth birthday, my parents decided that it was time for me to learn basic self defense. Their definition of 'basic' meant profesional training.

My plan of being lazy was completely eradicated at the moment my parents introduced me to Fon. I stared blankly at this tall man as I squealed internally seeing this gorgeous hunk in real life.

For once, I was grateful that I saw him in his adult years before he turned into an infant.

I thought he would go easy on a five year old, but all my expectations crumbled...

He wasn't exactly a softie when teaching martial arts, nope, he was those type of strict teachers that will push you to your limits.

I can't imagine what I-pin just went through.

Since Bermuda's last visit, my parents decided to send me to China every summer to learn "basic" martial arts with Fon.

Oddly enough, he isn't an arcobaleno yet, but a handsome man. My first summer with him was oddly fun since I got to play with Fon a lot.

Perhaps it was to lure me in to coming again on next year, while assessing my physical capabilities without me noticing. Then on my second birthday, it was about the same activities with dozens of adventures. Then third year started to change, at first it seems like a fun light exercise, but they were actually preparation for my endurance.

Then fourth summer came... it was heavy excersises that helps strengthen my bones, and fifth summer was a mock battles with a couple game of chase, or hide and seek. Where Fon chase me as while I run away from my dear life to avoid his deadly forhead flicks.

"Fon-ge! You meanie!" I yell at my martial art teacher, while running away.

"I never said that it was going to be fair." He chases after me, distance between us are getting closer.

I tried running faster, using the large vines, foliage or whatever the forest had to offer as my geographic advantage to widen the distance.

But before I knew it, I was already caught by Fon. I tried to run away, but he already knew what I was planning and carried me up in the air. Sadly enough, a five year old kid doesn't weigh that much for any adult to struggle.

I crossed my arms, pouting at him as he carries me back to the training area, and forced me to trained me until it was time for dinner. Fon was mostly doing the cooking while I watch him, reminding me of my older brother in my previous life.

"Fon-ge, do you think I can beat you one day?" I asks, watching him cut carrots "do you think, maybe I'll be stronger than you?"

"Why do you ask that?" He giggles at me, placing the minced carrots in the bowl for the dumpling filling "to have great power comes with a hard work, from what I know from you is that you prefer to laze around and do nothing"

"I know, but maybe if I defeat you, then maybe, I'll be the one to protect you one day. Also I want to be Fon-nii's bride!" I watch him mixed the minced vegetable from the ground meat, as I seriously proposed to this man "I don't like to fight because I find it exhausting, but if I have to fight to protect Fon-nii, then I might be willing to do it!"

"You shouldn't waste your time with an old man like me, you can find a better groom! You act like a granny sometimes, Eli" he chuckles, completing to shape his dumplings "you have a mature mentality for a kid, but I'm sure there will be day that you will be able to defeat me and I might consider your proposal."

"Really?!" I helped out shaping his dumplings, as he nodded at me.

Although I knew that he actually didn't take my proposal seriously, he only said it to appease me. Thinking that children tend to forget what they said most of the time.

"Yeah, you have a bright future ahead of you" Fon smiles at me, as we cook the dumplings we made together "you won't be able to defeat me any time soon, and I don't have anything left to teach you, and let experience flourish your strength"

I was too focused on stuffing the meat in the dumplings that I didn't hear Fon's last words.

"It unfortunate that I might not be able to be there to see your growth.."

_____
_____

It was in the middle of the dawn, when my bladder woke me up. I quietly got out of my room and went to the washroom to do my business. I was about to go back when I saw one the lights still open and hears Fon and my father talking.

When did Dad got here?

I ask to myself, eavesdropping on their conversation. The two of them was in the living room, they seem to have serious topic, I decided to listen to it.

"Fon, how is she?" My father asks seriously "I want you to tell the truth and nothing but the truth."

"She is better than what you explained to me, she does not charge recklessly. She tends to observe and plan before attacking" Fon complements me "although her strength is weak, her instinct and reflects are pretty good. I must say that she can survive on her own in a battle. Elias does have some few flaws here and there but I think she will do well to protect herself."

"I hope that she didn't give you any trouble, that girl has a habit of running away when she's put to things she doesn't like" my father sighs "I'm even surprised she didn't tried to escape here."

I mentally didn't deny that, i did try to escape every chance I had, but Fon seemed to read my mind every time I tried to escape.

"I have my ways, mr. Lin" Fon chuckles, I shiver at the thought when I ran away from Fon-nii during lessons, I really did try but it was impossible to pass through Fon "Although it worries me that there are times that she acts too mature for her age. I noticed that she would gaze at the sky with such a lonely expression time to time, I'm aware it isn't in my place to say but it isn't healthy for a child to be separated for a long period with their parents or be isolated with other children because of the dangers of your business. I'm truly worried about the child."

"I understand that Fon, it pains me to see my daughter to grow up alone, but I'm even more scared that my main family will take her away from us." My father's voice was trembling "she's our only daughter, and it pains me to see her not grow into a normal environment."

"But I'm already glad that I grew up with a loving parents, Dad." I couldn't help myself but to cut in their conversation.

"Elias, when did you-"

"About a minute ago" I lied, ignoring the gaze Fon is giving me "I had to pee, I was about to go back when I heard mumbling voices."

I hug my father, while Fon-nii silently watches the two of us interact. He probably noticed me some time ago but decided not to speak about it, and probably decided to tell his praise about me. I have great food, great family and a loving (but strict) brother/teacher.

"I'm already happy with what I have!"

______

Anyways,

Don't forget to :

VOTE! COMMENT! AND ENJOY!

- Neku -