41. Breaking Chains

DeviArt: Krinmu

I just started watching March comes in like a lion, aaannd I find it quite interesting.

41. Breaking Chains

I opened my eyes in darkness, finding myself lying down in a cold floor with void space. The firm ground I stood up bubbles up and the next thing I know, I was forced to descend. I shut my eyes by instinct, not knowing what's about to come. 

I landed in water where I couldn't breath. I slowly opened my eyes to see specks of dust turns into chains, and cuffs wrapping my neck, wrists, and ankles but the restraints look fragile as if can easily break with few brute force. I try to smash the chains through force but my body refuses to move as it begs for air, I tried to swim upwards where I can see lights, hoping there is air. But my body refused to move any longer, while the chain continue to drag me further down.

...lias.

I slowly shut my eyes, ready to accept my fate. Perhaps, drowning in my death isn't so bad...

Elias. 

I heard someone call my name, but I didn't feel like moving at all. I can see a figure swimming toward my direction but I could not see his face, my eyes was forced to shut.

Wake up, Elias!

I flinched hearing the mysterious voice yells at me, I forced to open my eyes once more. I look around to see that I am inside a car at Italy. Was it just a dream? I look at my wrist to see a marks on my wrist. it's too lucid to be a dream. I rubbed my wrist to feel no pain but it definitely has a mark. 

"How long until do we arrive?" I ask Charles who's been driving for a while now, It seems like I'm going to miss Ryohei and Lambo's battle and if I was lucky, I might even catch up to watch Lambo's fight.

"We just arrived" He informs as the two of us got out of the car the moment he parked.

Charles stayed at the waiting area while I entered into my uncle's office, in there, Mukuro was leaning in the wall with his mischievous smile. As well as my uncle, I kept a stoic face the moment I came in. 

"Hello uncle" I greeted 

"perfect timing, here's my small gift." 

He presented me a two identical sword, with intricate design

He presented me a two identical sword, with intricate design. I took one of the sword, and unsheathe the weapon. I took one swing making sure I don't break anything, the weight and length was absolutely into my liking. I put the sword back to it's sheath and put it back. 

"Thank you for the wonderful gift, uncle." I spoke, quickly bowing to show my gratitude "I'll be sure not to disappoint you for the succession.

"That's reassuring to hear, and What about your flames?" He asks.

"I thought we had this conversation, uncle. I am unable to produce any flames."

"That's a shame, make sure that you don't lose. There are two other candidate who most of the Lin family favors, do not disappoint me Elias."

"You know I won't fail, uncle"

"Good. You may now leave, since I assume you want to watch the Vongola's battle."

I quickly bowed once again and left his office, but this time, I left with Mukuro following me from behind and two swords with me. I immediately meet up with Charles and the three of us got into the car. The moment three of us was out of the building, a huge sigh of relief escapes in my lips. 

"Aw man, I really don't like going in that office!" I whine, stretching my arm upwards. I look at Mukuro who's only staring at me for a while now "what are you looking at?"

"Kufufufu, you." He laughs "I really find you interesting."

"Okay, cool! Anyways, we need you to go to the battle of Vongola. So go save your energy!" I patted his head, like a habit I use to do to Tsuna and the younger kids "We're going home!"

____

____

It took us half a day to a day to Japan, it was already morning and I was exhausted from the trip. The moment we arrived at home, we were greeted by Chrome, Ken and Chikusa who was excited to see Mukuro and hug the tall male. I already explained which room Mukuro would be staying as well as some of the basic house rule. The moment I enter my room, I close my eyes, as I drift into the realm of dreams.  

I opened my eyes to wake up from the same dream , a continuation when I was in Italy, I was drowning, and the chains didn't helped me that much either. But this time, I was calm and I can breath underwater. I immediately remove the chains that cuffed my arms, and my ankles once it was removed I watch it shatter into dust and slowly disappearing under the water, though I couldn't seem to remove the cuff on my neck, but I felt so much lighter. I quickly swam upwards to see where it would take me. 

I swam and swam and swam, until I finally reached the surface. I felt so much better to be above the surface, to see beautiful different colors instead of the dull color of the almost dark lake. I observe my surrounding to find a simple yet breath taking scene of an autumn forest, where two animals stares at me; a fox and a crow. The fox then jumped from the rock, and walked to my direction, it was able to stand above the water and stared at me, then nudged it's head against my cheek. The red fox made a gesture to follow it and I swam until I reach the ground. 

I felt exhausted but at the same time refreshed to feel the soft grass against my feet, the fox then immediately led me deeper into the autumn forest. In there I can feel different animals that resides, the for immediately stop when a familiar child was playing with a crow. 

"Yo, Elias!" The child waves his hand at me "I see that you finally broke those chains."

"Orfeo! You, I, oh my god, am I DEAD?!" I was speechless seeing him again, the last time I saw him was like fifteen years ago and I thought that would be our last encounter, but I guess not.

"Pfft, nope! I came to visit you since I want to help you find your gift." He chuckles at my reaction "we're in the heart of the forest, each and every animal are present right now, all you have to do is to choose one!"

"does it only have to be one?" I ask sadly looking at all of the creatures "also why an animal"

"Greed will cost you death, so no." He answers me firmly "also it'll help me asses your gift, it's not complete yet so, I think it's best for me to observe." 

I look around as I pet each animal, they were all friendly but I didn't feel any connections at all. Orfeo only watched me as each animal that I rejected leave on by one. The wolf, woodpecker, flamingo, lion, tiger, cheetah, snake, ant, mouse. None of them seem to have that connection I feel. 

What's my fated animal? 

I keep asking myself that question over and over until I was down to the last two animal; The fox and the crow. I take a gulp, which I found my self in distraught. I equally love those two animals yet here I am, about to choose my own animal.

_____

Don't forget to 

VOTE COMMENT AND ENJOY!

-Neku-