birthday party blowout

"There's the birthday girl!"

Leah said with a smile as she took Brinley from my arms. Today is Brinley's birthday and all of my friends are coming over for her party.

"I can't believe my baby girl is already one! May 15th. One of the best days of my life."

I said as I kissed Brinley's cheek.

"I think once Kieran comes, I'm gonna get their birth dates and names tattooed."

"Yes woman! You need some different tattoos behind your anime shit."

Ashley said as she looked at the tattoo on my wrist. I rolled my eyes as I walked into the kitchen and checked on the cake in the oven. I furrowed my brow as I heard a knock at the door. Everyone is always here, who the hell could be here now?

When I opened the door, it took everything in me to not punch the person in front of me.

"What do you want Cathy?"

I asked her as I crossed my arms.

"Fergal wanted me to drop this off for Brinley and to wish her happy birthday."

Cathy said as she handed me a pink gift bag. I looked the bag up and down before looking back at her.

"Tell Fergal that he can be a man and bring it himself to see his baby girl on birthday."

I said before I slammed the door. I groaned as I walked to the backyard where everyone was at.

"Fergal is a piece of work."

I said as I sat down on a chair.

"What happened?"

Rebecca asked.

"He fucking had Cathy, of all people, drop off a present for Brinley. He couldn't even come see his daughter on her first birthday. I don't know why I'm shocked anymore."

I said as tears fell down my face.

"It'll be okay Pam. You've been strong for this long and you've been happy. Brinley has been happy. Don't let him ruin your happiness again."

Mercy said as I nodded. She's right. I shouldn't let Fergal get to me like this. Today is about Brinley, not Fergal and I's issues.

+

"Happy birthday to you!"

Everyone sang as I helped Brinley blow out the candles on her cake. Mercades started cutting the cake as I heard someone knock on the door. I walked to the front door and noticed no one was there but a box was on my doorstep. I picked the box up and read the tag.

To: Brinley
From: Daddy. Happy birthday baby girl!

I looked down at the box as tears fell down my face. I walked to the backyard as I kept my eyes locked on the box.

"What's that?"

Leah asked me.

"It's from Fergal. He couldn't even tell her happy birthday to her face."

I said as more tears fell down my face.

"Don't cry about it. He's the loser here."

Mercades said as she hugged me. I just wish Fergal was man enough to come to the damn party and be there for his baby girl.