You/Mai - Second Choice Part 1

"I don't understand how you can't see that Mai is just using you. She's been using you since father banished him."

Azula smirked as she watched how furious you got. She liked to poke you just so you could give her a challenge while you trained with her. 

"You have no idea what you're talking about! Mai loves me and I love her!"

You watched as Azula jumped around the courtyard, dodging your burst of fires that you kept throwing at her. It's not until she see's that you've exhausted yourself when she finally strikes back. With a kick, a path of flames makes her way towards you. You're barely able to jump away before it burns you. Azula just laughs when she sees that you're too exhausted to get up. 

"Oh, don't be so hard on yourself. If I was someone's second choice, I would be furious too. Lucky for me, Ty Lee loves me and doesn't have eyes for anyone else."

"You know what Azula, it's time someone knocked you down a peg or two."

"Are you threatening me!?"

You stood up, giving her a smirk. 

"I simply just want to tell you the truth. Ty Lee only loves you because she's afraid of what you would do to her if she rejected her. She doesn't love you."

She yells at you as she rushes to fight with you again. The two of you continue throwing punches and kicks at each other. Each time you do, fire lights up the night sky. 

Ty Lee and Mai rush to the courtyard when they hear and see the flames from the palace. 

"Stop it! The two of you are going to kill each other!"

Neither of you are listening to Ty Lee or Mai as they try to stop you. Finally, Ty Lee blocks both of your chi and Mai uses her throwing knifes to hold the two of you against the columns of the palace courtyard. 

"Neither of you are being very pink. What is going on? Why are you so angry with each other?"

Azula just smiles at Ty Lee and Mai when you refuse to answer. 

"Oh nothing, I was just telling (y/n) that she's Mai's second choice. You know because Zuko got banished for being a traitor."

"Azula!"

Ty Lee scolds Azula but she pays no attention to it. She rips her armor sleeve off of the knives, letting them fall to the ground. 

"What? It's the truth, Mai never even gave (y/n) a second glance. I'm the only one who is willing to say the truth."

"(y/n), that's not true. You're not my second choice. I love you. I was arranged to marry Zuko but with him gone, I'm free to be with who I want to be and that's you."

You finally looked up to Mai, letting her see that you had been crying the entire time. She quickly removes the knives to give you a tight hug. 

"I love you, (y/n). Not Zuko."

"Don't say that I didn't warn you, (y/n)."

X

"So I was thinking of proposing to Ty Lee, she'll be a perfect Fire Lady besides me..."

Azula stops talking when she hears you drop the plate of food that you had been carrying. 

"(y/n), you're not a peasant. It's not ladylike to be dropping things. You're a noble for godsake, you had lessons."

Azula finally looks up to what had managed to distract you. In front of the two of you, Mai and Zuko were currently kissing. 

"Well what are you waiting for, (y/n). Aren't you going to challenge him against an Agni Kai?"

You turned around and ignored Azula's yelling to go back and challenge him. You hated how Azula had been right. You couldn't believe that Mai had lied to your face. 

X

Neither you or Azula had told Mai or Zuko that you had seen them kiss. Azula was simply just waiting for everything to explode and you were just bidding your time. Everytime that you kissed Mai, you couldn't help but remember how you saw the lock lips at the beach. It had meant to be your 3 year anniversary meaning that for 3 years, Mai had lied to you.  

The perfect time finally comes when Mai stops the guards from cutting Zuko's gondola. Ty Lee had blocked Azula's chi but wasn't able to stop yours in time as you cut them off from escaping. Guards soon surrounded them and helped Azula stand. You looked down to Mai, not saying anything as you walked to stand besides Azula. She gave you an understanding smile and then turned to face her two former friends. 

"Take them far away. To the darkest cells of the prison where they won't see the sunlight again."

"(y/n)! Help us!"

Mai knew from the moment that you stopped them from escaping that you had seen the kiss. She could see the hurt in your eyes. 

"She's not going to help us, Ty Lee."

Mai mumbles to Ty Lee as they drag them away. Azula is finally able to stand on her own by the time they are taken away. 

"Well we should've seen this coming. It looks like we can only trust each other."

She held out your hand for you to take. 

"Just the two of us, Princess Azula."

Your heart ached for Mai but you knew that she didn't love you. She had betrayed you and the Fire Nation for someone that barely spared a glance at her and only used her when it was necessary.