You/Jinora - Secret

Lin sighed as you continued pacing up and down her office

Lin sighed as you continued pacing up and down her office. You've been doing it for a few minutes and it was driving her mad.

"(y/n)! Spit it out. What is on your mind?"

"It..." You struggle coming up with what you wanted to say. Your mother was never the easiest person to get along. "It's just that Jinora has been asking about my parents."

"You didn't tell her that I'm your mother, did you?"

You shake your head. Lin would have your head if you spilled a word about who your parents were. She kept insisting that it was a safety concern for the longest time and now that you were in the force, it couldn't be her excuse anymore.

"I just don't understand why you don't want anyone to know. You haven't even told grandma"

"Oh, please. That old woman has been god knows where. Even if I wanted to tell her, I can't. Why does your girlfriend even care about who your parents are? It's none of her business anyways."

"Mom!" Tears of frustration spill out. You knew that talking with her wouldn't work out. "J...just forget I said anything. It was stupid." You turn around to walk out of her office when it's slammed shut in your face.

"Sit. I'm not letting people see you like that."

Spirits forbid your mother show an ounce of love. You reluctantly move to sit on the chair in front of her desk.

"You've never had a problem with this, (y/n). Why is it important for her to know who your parents are?"

"Because I want to marry her!" You yell at her. You were more than sure that everyone outside had heard what you yelled. "I want to marry Jinora but I can't until she meets you. I've met her family and they accepted me. I want you to do the same for her."

Lin's shocked to hear this. The two of you had been dating for almost two years and neither of you seemed like wanting to take the next step. She sighs and rubs at her temples to stop the headache that she could feel coming.

"Why is my approval so important? I like the girl. I've never told you anything about dating her, that should be enough."

"All I'm asking is just one family dinner with her. I've never asked you for anything in my life. This is the least you could do for me. I've kept myself a secret."

"Alright, alright. Stop that crying. I'll meet your girlfriend."

You give her a smile and wipe away your tears as you run up to hug her. Lin hesitates to hug you back. Affection was never her forte.

"Thank you, mom. You'll love Jinora."

X

Dinner with Lin and Jinora was awkward. You tried your best to make things less awkward but it was impossible. Jinora was still trying to wrap her mind about the fact that Lin had been hiding for you for so long and Lin looked like she wanted to be anywhere but your apartment. You get through the painful dinner and Jinora leaves soon enough.

"I asked you for one thing mother and you couldn't even do this for me."

"What? You asked me to meet your girlfriend and I met her. I kept my end of the deal."

You clench your jaw in anger. You've never had a normal relationship with Lin. She acted more like a boss than your mother. You couldn't even remember the last time that she had even told you that she loved you.

"You know what? I'm tired of this. All I've hoped for since I was little was for you to show me just an ounce of love. Just the occasional hug that I wouldn't have to start. But even that was too much to ask for. You've kept me hidden away from everyone and deprived me of everything. Kids made fun of me for being orphan. They all kept saying that my parents didn't love me enough to keep me and I didn't believe them. It's been 20 years and I'm starting to think that maybe they were right. I think that I would rather be an orphan than have whatever this is." You motion between Lin and you. "I'm going to leave and when I come back, I don't want you here. I'm tired of being the only one keeping up with this mother/daughter relationship."

"(y/n), wait I.."

"Goodbye, Lin."

X

You let out a loud groan when you spot your mother on the couch.

"I told you that I wanted you to leave. Why are you still here?"

"I owe you explanations and apologies."

"Go ahead and start then."

Your mother spends the entire night giving you her life story and explanations about why she kept you a secret. By the time she finishes, it's already sunset.

"I know what I did is unforgivable but I want to make it up to you. We'll tell everyone that I'm your mother and I'll even host a dinner with you and your girlfriend."

You give her a tight hug, one that she actually returns without hesitating.

"Thank you, mom."

X

Dinner was a successful, Lin had actually made an effort to get to know Jinora.

"Could I talk to Lin for a second?"

Jinora whispers to you. You look to your mother, giving her a warning glare before you nod.

"I'll clean up."

You stand up and start clearing the dishes as you head to the kitchen.

X

Jinora gulps loudly when you leave her alone with Lin. She hadn't realized how intimidating Lin could be.

"Ms. Beifong, I know this is an old tradition and it's probably not practiced by a lot but you know how air benders tend to be. They like to stick to traditions." Jinora awkwardly laughs as Lin just gives her a blank stare. She coughs and continues talking. "I love you daughter. She's made me happier than I've ever been in these 2 years that we've been dating. I know we're ready to take the next step. I can't imagine my life without her so I was hoping that I could have your blessing to marry your daughter?"

Lin stays quiet for a long time. Enjoying how Jinora was squirming under her stare. She stopped after remembering her promise to you.

"I don't think my daughter could find anyone better than you. I've seen how happy you've made her. You have my blessing but it is ultimately up to her if she wants to marry you."

Jinora can't help but stand up and hug Lin. You come back to find Lin hugging Jinora back. When Lin meets your gaze, you silently mouth a 'thank you.'

-----------

Send me prompts and suggestions. Will write about any women from the ATLA/LOK universe. All characters are 18+

Only exception is a/b/o prompts. Will not write about these but can write something similar

Names that have ?? do not have a prompt so feel free to send me one of yours.

Lin Beifong - Soulmate

Lin Beifong - Fire

Katara - Hello

Azula - Soulmates

Toph Beifong - Impressions

Katara - Alone

------------