You/Kuvira - Unknown

You didn't want to come on the stupid recruiting trip

You didn't want to come on the stupid recruiting trip. There were tons of other things that you could do instead of babysitting the Avatar and dealing with the consequences of her actions but your mom insisted it was necessary for you to come.

"Quit being a baby, (y/n). Not only are you my daughter but you're one of my top officers. Act like it."

You glared at her, mumbling something under your breath that Lin decided to let go as her sister met up to greet you.

"(y/n)! You've gotten so big. The last time that I saw you, you were this time."

She lower her hand to almost 4 feet from the ground. You smiled, rolling your eyes as you remembered the memories that you shared with your aunts and cousins. There had been a time that you resented your mother for keeping you away from your family but that was a thing in the past.

"You can blame mom for that but I promise to drag her along with me when I come visit next time."

"I will not be dragged! I'm the..."

The two of you rolled your eyes and turned away from her to ignore another one of her speeches. Suyin hadn't seen Lin in years but she still knew her well like the back of her hand.

"She's still mad?"

"She is but I'm sure she'll get over it."

"I heard that!"

Walking away from her, the two of you started talking about random things that you had missed from the time that you hadn't come.

"Guess who's Zaofu's newest guard?"

"Who?"

"Kuvira! You remember her, right?"

"Of course! How's 'Vira?"

"Why don't you ask me yourself, (nickname)?"

You smiled as you heard Kuvira's voiced. It had been a long time but you still remember how happy she made you. Turning around, you found her in her full gear with a bright smile as always. You rush to her, almost crushing her in a hug.

"I've missed you"

"Really? How come you never visited me?"

"well...how come you never visited me?"

The two of you laugh and start heading back to Suyin's house as the two of you catch up like old times.

X

The few days that you had spent in Zaofu, old feelings resurfaced. Your heart still spend up whenever you saw Kuvira and it made you realized that you hadn't gotten over her. You had thought it was some silly little crush but it turns out that it wasn't.

"So you're leaving already? You just got back."

"My mother insists that I must stay with Korra to keep her safe. I would have stayed if I she hadn't ordered me to do so."

"I see your mom is still bossy as ever. I'll miss you. Please visit soon." The two of you were close. Far too close than you would've ever allowed yourself to be for the sole reason that all you wanted to do was lean in and kiss her. "Oh, and just as incentive for you to come back." Kuvira cups your cheek and pulls you in for a kiss.

X

Almost a year later and you hadn't forgotten about the kiss that Kuvira surprised you with. You kept it to yourself, unsure of what it meant. You hoped that it meant that she liked you but you were never sure. To find the answer, you returned back to Zaofu to learn that she had left to restore order to the Earth Kingdom. With no responsibilities to Republic City or Zaofu, you left after her.

"It took you almost a year. What took you so long?"

"I wasn't sure what the kiss meant."

"What else could it mean, (y/n). I thought you could have been able to tell that I like you." You look down to hide your blush from her. It makes Kuvira smile as she watches you get shy all of a sudden. There weren't a lot of things that got you flustered so it was always a treat to get a reaction out of you. Walking up to you, she raises your head by your chin to make you look up at her. "Just to make it clear for you. I like you. I don't think I'll be able to stand another year without you."

"You won't. I'll stay with you by your side. I'm too much in love with you to ever leave again."

X

The two of you grew closer the following two years. As you had promised her, you stayed besides her despite the fact that you weren't entirely okay with what she was doing. When everything had been revealed to you about the Earth Empire, you still stayed besides her despite the fact that your mother begged for you to leave her.

"She's a dictator, (y/n)! How could you be with someone like her?"

You smiled at your mother before turning around and kissing Kuvira.

"Because I love her."