Chapter 184

Matt's POV: Once me and Gabby finished putting the kids to sleep, I smiled when I came back downstairs with the baby monitor so that I could have some alone time with Gabby. Seeing her in the living room, I smiled as she sat on the sectional after already turning on the fireplace. "Let me guess, you want me to grab us some glasses of wine?" Gabby then turned to look at me and nodded. "You get to serve me tonight. Sorry but, I took care of the kids most of the day. Remember, they are saints when you are around. But that son of yours is a devil when you are out on a call sometimes. It bugs the crap out of me and is making me rethink whether or not we actually should put him in daycare."

I nodded and then walked up to her. Setting my phone down on the table, I went to grab her hand. "We'll talk about that okay? Gabby, I want to make our life with 3 kids as easy as possible for you to handle. My job as your husband doesn't stop. My main concern is life is that you don't overwhelm yourself and that you strive to find the right balance. If you want Matteo in daycare when I am at work...then we can do that. I promise that is a good idea." Gabby then sighed. "Can you just get the wine and then we can talk about it while we sit together here on the couch?" I smiled and nodded. "Oh and by the way, you got changed?"

Looking at myself, I nodded. "Changed my mind about not being comfortable. I needed to get in my sweats to be comfortable. Believe me, the jeans and pants are not very comfortable when you are wearing them under fire gear." Gabby nodded and agreed. "I remember, it was horrible." I laughed and agreed before going to make my way to the kitchen to get us some wine. "Red or white?" Gabby then thought about it. "Red." Going to look in the wine fridge, I grabbed a nice new bottle of red wine that I was saving for Valentine's Day.

Opening it, I then went to grab us two glasses before wlaking back to the living room. "And you pumped right? I just want to make sure before I give you wine." Gabby laughed and nodded. "Believe me. As much as you think that you are the only one that needs this...I need it just as much sometimes. My meds are gone by the time we leave the firehouse so that makes it harder on me." I nodded and understood while setting the glasses down on the coffee table. I then went to pour the wine into the glasses before going to give her a glass.

Bending down, I gave her a quick kiss and just smiled. "Finally, a bit of time with my girl." Gabby smiled and nodded as she watched me sit down next to her. Moving her legs onto mine, she smiled as she put the blanket on top of us and just went to take a sip of her wine. "This is good and boy have I needed a bit of it." I nodded and smiled as I went to look at her. "A toast?" I was confused when she said that. "What are we toasting to?" Gabby smiled. "To your first 2 weeks as Chief of Firehouse 51. You were amazing Matt and don't doubt that." I agreed and smiled as I hit my glass against hers. I then went to take a sip and smiled.

Wrapping my arm around her, I smiled at her. "So, Matteo seemed to relly like the firetruck eh?" Gabby laughed and nodded. "Yeah, he was obsessed with it after you left for that call. He asked me a whole bunch of questions. Like whether I ever road on one and whether we can buy one." I laughed when she said that. "Have you told him that you used to be a firefighter? Or still are. I am not going to hold you back if you want to be one." Gabby then sighed and shook her head. "About that. I want to talk to you about my back to work plans."

I then looked at her. "What's up Gabby?" Gabby then sighed. "Listen, this is nothing to do with you. I am so glad we came back because I missed our friends and I am so glad we are doing this. It's just...I am not sure whether I am ready to go back. I got so much time with Matteo. I mean sure, we were working but...we got so much time with him when he was the babies' age, I am not sure if I am ready to go back to the firehouse. I mean, I know it wouldn't be until my birthday and stuff but...I am just not sure what I want yet."

I nodded and understood before going to set my glass of wine down on the table. Gabby then did the same and moved to cuddle up to me. Wrapping my arm around her, I then rubbed her back while kissing her head. "Gabby, listen to me okay? I don't want you to feel any pressure to return to work before you are ready. At the end of the day Gabby...I need to support you as your husband first. If you don't think you are going to be ready to go back to the firehouse anytime soon...then don't. Gabby, we can work this out." I then went to rub her arm before pushing her chin up and moving to look into her eyes.

"Gabby, you are my wife first okay? Sure, I would love to have you back as PIC with me. But, I am okay with you just bringing the kids in and being there as my wife. In fact, it's much more reassuring. Having you on my scene is scary and I am not ready to see that again. I think just knowing that you are just there to support me for a while is what I need because honestly Gabby, I am still nervous on a daily basis." Gabby nodded and understood when I said that. I then went to kiss her head and smiled at her. "Gabby, take all the time you need. No pressure." Gabby smiled when I said that before going to grab her glass of wine again. She then went to take a drink and smiled at me.

Grabbing my glass of wine, I then decided to change the subject. "So, back to my question. Have you told Matteo yet? You know, that you used to be a firefighter?" Gabby then nodded. "Oh yeah. I already told him. I wanted to make sure that he got the picture of a woman as a firefighter at a very young age. In fact, I want you to promise me that you are never going to use the word fireman at home. It's firefighter. I want to try and use gender neutral words to explain it to him. He needs to know that the women are there becuase they are firefighters." I smiled and nodded when she said that. "I promise."

Gabby smiled when I said that before going to kiss me softly. "Listen, let's just finish our wine and then I will go put it away. After that, I want to go get in bed. I know we said we would stay out here but...I want to cuddle up to you. Keep your PJs on though. You smeel like ashes for some reason." I nodded. "It's the trucks. There's sud in them." Gabby laughed and smiled as we both went to finish our glasses of wine so that we could go get in bed.