Chapter 302

Matt's POV: While driving home with Gabby, I could tell that she was still a little flustered after what Jay almost did to us in the hotel. "Gabby, if you want me to call him so we can talk about it...I will." Gabby turned to look at me after looking out the window in silence for a while. "Is that going to do any good thought Matt? I mean, isn't it just going to make me worry more?" I thought about it and shook my head. "Let's just call him okay?" Gabby nodded and agreed with me as I went to activate the Bluetooth system in our van so that I could call Jay.

"Call Jay Halstead" The car then answered my request. "Calling Jay Halstead - iPhone." I smiled when it said that before turning onto the main street that led us from the hotel through downtown and home. "Do you mind if I take the long/scenic route instead of the highway?" Gabby then looked at me and shook her head. "No, it's okay. The babies seem to be enjoying looking outside." I agreed and nodded when I heard Jay answer his phone. "Hey Matt." I then sighed when he said that. "You trying to kill me on Valentine's Day man?"

Jay then sighed when I said that, knowing exactly what I meant. "I am really sorry about that. Erin just called and said that she didn't feel good. I was worried. Erin's pregnant remember?" I understood what he meant and sighed. "I get it man. It's just...I guess I am scared. We have 3 kids. And it happened on her side of the car. That's even more scary. She could've been holding one of the babies while I was putting our bags in the back. So just for future reference, don't rush in a parking lot when you are parked next to, or in the midst of parking next to a van."

Jay understood when I said that. "Of course. By the way Gabby, I am really sorry. I know when you get worried...you get really worried. So for that, I am really sorry and I hope that you can forgive me. I will try and not let it happen again."  Gabby agreed. "Of course Jay, I understand. But the important question right now is...is Erin okay? I overheard that you were rushing back because Erin called you." Erin then answered for him. "I am fine Gabby. Thanks for asking. And I am sorry for my part in this, I asked Jay to rush back because I wasn't feeling good."

Jay agreed with her and sighed. "Yeah, she had some morning sickness. I wasn't back to hold her hair and I am sorry about that." I understood and then looked at Gabby. "I think we can forgive you for that. I know how important it is to be back for her when she's having morning sickness after going through a pregnancy with Gabby." Gabby smiled when I said that before grabbing my hand. Rubbing it, I intertwined our fingers and felt really happy when I mentioned that considering I was grateful to have gone through one pregnancy with her.

Gabby then looked at me and mouthed. 'I love you' I smiled and nodded, mouthing back. 'I love you too.' Gabby then went to kiss my hand and I smiled at her. "Listen Jay, we are going to let you guys go. Erin, I hope you feel better. Meanwhile, we are going to head home and just relax. We left the hotel a couple days early because we wanted to be at home instead of at a hotel. We are just more comfortable there. And I can do my work in my office instead of on the bed. The one thing I hate about my new job, the fact that I have to bring work home."

Jay understood exactly what I meant. "I completely get it man. Hank gave us a break over Christmas because we wanted to enjoy our first one with Liv. I just hope that he does the same for us this year when we have 2 kids. I also asked him if we can extend our maternity and paternity leaves until the end of the year. We are scheduled be off from mid-July until December 1st. But I just asked him...can you do us a solid and just give us until the New Year? I don't want Erin to have to deal with the emotions of coming back and leaving our kids behind, deal with cases and Christmas all at once. That will overwhelm her." I understood exactly what he meant.

"Believe me man, I may not have had a kid that close to Christmas but...I understand exactly how I feel considering what I just went through. Remember, Boden died shortly before Wally's birth. So, I was going to come back for the funeral. But, I had to stay back instead. I think I was actually at the airport when you called me to say that you were in labor. Right Gabby?" Gabby nodded and agreed. "I called Antonio. You were about to get off the highway and drive into the airport. Instead, you went to turn around." I nodded and agreed with her as I went to make a turn towards our home. "Honestly, that was such an emotion filled day."

Gabby nodded as she looked at me. "I feel like something had to overshadow all of our kids births. First, it was me finding you in the hospital. Then, it was COVID for Ella. And last but not least, it was Boden dying for Wally." Gabby went to rub my hand when I said that and nodded. "Listen, we are getting into topics I am not comfortable talking about with you guys. I am sorry, it's just something a bit too..." I nodded and understood what Gabby meant. "Listen guys, you have fun at the hotel or back at home. I am going to let you go. We are almost home." Both Jay and Erin agreed with me when I said that.

"Of course and we are on our way home too. You guys have a good day and bye Matteo." Matteo agreed with Jay when he said that. "Bye Jay Jay!" I smiled when he said that before going to hang up as I looked at Gabby. "Do we need to talk about that when we are relaxing in bed?" Gabby then bit her lip and shrugged. "Can we just see what happens? Don't push it on me okay?" I nodded and understood as I continued to drive home, ready to relax with Gabby and the kids.