Chapter 326

Meanwhile, in the kitchen with Antonio and Diego:
Antonio's POV: As I looked at Diego and went to boil some water, I sighed because I knew that I had to talk to Diego. He was really pushing his luck when it came to his job and his aunt and I was not impressed. With her having 3 kids, plus her disorders...it was not healthy for him to push her this much. It is going to cause her to get overwhelmed. And then, Matt will blame me because I didn't control him. God, this is going to be fun. Seeing Diego walk in, I looked at him as he went to sit on the stool in front of me to play on his phone. "Tell me when you need help."

Looking at him, I shook my head. "Not so fast mister. Put that phone down and look at me. We are going to have a serious talk about this." Diego then sighed as he went to put his phone down. "Am I going to be yelled at just like my uncle did?" I then looked at him and shook my head. "Worse. I am your father and that means, I get to be tougher on you. And I also get to remind you that your aunt is not the typical case. You are treating her like you treat your sister. Swating her away. Diego, she gave you a job twice and she is also stressed to high heavens."

Diego sighed when I said that. "Yeah, and so are you. You don't think I know you are thinking about drinking right now?" I looked at him and shook my head. "My alcoholism has nothing to do with this! Well, it does. Gabby is worried I am going to drink again. And sometimes, I am close because I get overwhelmed like her. But you know what, you aunt has anxiety and OCD. Your cousin might have it too. Right now, she is really stressed and you need to help her not make it worse. Diego, you really think I like being on my sister's side rather than yours?"

Diego looked at me. "Wait, you want to defend me?" I nodded. "Uhm, of course I do. You are my son. And that's what parents do for their kids. But, I couldn't do it in this case because of the fact that you are putting your tia Gabby's mental health at risk. I have to draw the line somewhere and that's where I put it. Listen, I am not going to go everything but, you need to know what your aunt has on her plate. She has 3 kids and anxiety, Matteo might have anxiety and OCD. Plus, her husband is a firefighter. You really think that's easy on a wife to handle."

Diego sighed when I said that, seemingly starting to understand why we are so disappointed in him. "I guess, I just feel like my life is too strict. I can barely live." I nodded and understood. "Diego, I get that okay? Heck...I wanted to live like you did at your age. But remember that I had a much harder time growing up. We weren't wealthy, I didn't have my own car. Heck, I didn't even have a stable job like you do. It wasn't until I joined law enforcement that I had a stable job. And even then, the money wasn't all mine. It went to you guys. I was 28 when we had your sister."

Diego seemed shocked when I said that. "Woah." I nodded. "So believe me when I say this, I know exactly what your aunt is going through. Diego, she just had to make the decision to stop working. She's a stay-at-home mom. It's because of the fact that she has the restaurant that she's able to do that. So please man, you need to help your aunt. She needs to be able to stay at home with her kids because if not...it's just too much for her. You working there is a big favor to your aunt because it's money that they can use for the kids. I know you don't understand..."

Diego just got up and then walked over to me. Hugging me, he sighed. "I can understand. I know some friends who are my age and have kids. I see how stressed they are." I nodded and agreed as I held him. "Listen, enough about this. Just promise you are going to smarten up. And also, go get the tomatoes. We are making the homemade sauce. That takes time." That's when I heard Gabby come into the kitchen. "Okay, what can I do? I need to do something other than just stare at the kids for a while. Ella and Gabriel are napping, Matteo is playing with Matt."

I smiled when she said that. "Here, come make the pasta." Gabby then stared at me. "Oh no, I am not doing the easy stuff. I want to do the sauce. I don't care what you say. I am tired of having to play it safe. Believe me, I am going to go paranoid someday if I have to keep making sure a knife doesn't fall or Matteo doesn't climb up and grab it. So here, I can use a knife safely. Diego can do the pasta. I am going to cut the tomatos." I laughed and agreed. "Then come grab a knife and stand on the other side of the counter. Matt know you're in here?"

Gabby nodded and smiled. "Yes. So shut up and no talking about the living room. I want dirt and gossip on what's happening at the CPD. What's this about you possibly getting your old role as Deputy Head back?"