Chapter 333

Matt's POV: After making our way upstairs, I smiled as I finished getting changed in the washroom. Putting some water on my face, I sighed as yawned a bit. Let's just say that I haven't been sleeping the best recently. That fire scene with the mansion has been bothering me. It was my first major fire and I already marked it as arson. It was stressful because I knew if this went bad, my reputation as a chief would be damaged. Yet at the same time, I am not ready to talk to Gabby about it. At least, I wasn't until I saw her reading a document I brought home.

Walking out to bed, I looked at her a bit confused. "What are you reading?" Gabby then looked at me. "I saw this downstairs in your office recently. I brought it upstairs because I didn't think you would be joining me for rest. I was going to read it out of both curiosity and because I used to work arson." I sighed and nodded. "We can go over the case if you want. It must've peaked your interest by now." Gabby nodded and looked at me as she sat up in bed. Setting my phone down on my side table, I went to sit in bed before wrapping my arm around her.

Gabby then cuddled up to me as I went to tug the covers up. "Okay, so where I am coming from is a bit more complicated. I came at this fire as both a chief and a former alderman." Gabby was confused when I said that. "I am talking about why I reported it to OFI." Gabby was shocked when I said that. "You already reported it to OFI?" I nodded. "Yeah, I had to get a second opinion though first. I was really nervous to report it because I am a new chief." Gabby smiled when I said that. "You can always ask me first remember? I used to work Arson." 

I nodded and agreed with her. "Okay, so this place was the most expensive place in Chicago. The owners are major political donors so, I knew that they had money." Gabby nodded and agreed. "The first clue that led me to think this was arson was the fact that they were on scene." Gabby was confused when I said that. "Why would them being on scene lead you to think arson?" I then looked at her. "They are millionaires, and they choose to be in Chicago right now? Sorry but, if I had money like them...I would be in Cabo San Lucas right now."

Gabby laughed when I said that and nodded. "I also looked at the valuation. Some of these chandeliers and stuff are worth millions of dollars. When me and Severide were on scene, we rougly estimated that they could have at least a $15 million payout if this wasn't ruled arson. That's why I am taking such an interest in this case. I don't want these millionaires to get away with this. I take it personally." Gabby was surprised when I said that. "Can I ask why exactly?" I then sighed and looked at her. "My men's lives are not worth them getting $15 million."

Gabby nodded and understood. "Ah, that's what you mean. You are taking this personally because you don't want your hard work to have been because of an arson fire that leads to a payout because they are going broke." I nodded. "I would be insulted and really mad that they made me put my men's lives at risk just for them to get a payout. I already referred it to the CPD. They were on scene and I told them my suspicions. And I made sure to flag this right away. I actually personally submitted the report to OFI so that it would get their attention."

Looking at me, I could tell she was confused. "What do you mean?" I sighed. "In my past experience, OFI doesn't take a Captain's report as seriously as a report from a chief." Gabby nodded and agreed. "Yeah, because they have higher reliability when it comes to details." I agreed. "Yeah, so I asked both Severide and Hermann to give me their reports. I then sent them together with my personal report. I sent one copy to OFI and the other to CPD. I am just waiting for details as to whether they are classifying this as a crime or not."

That's when I heard my phone ring. Turning to look at it, I saw it was Jay. I then sighed. "Gabby, this might be related to this." Gabby nodded and agreed as I went to grab my phone. "Chief Casey." Jay then laughed when I said that. "Let me guess, you have a feeling/an idea about what this call is about?" I agreed. "Yeah, the mansion fire. I was just looking at the file with Gabby." Jay agreed with me. "Same thing but, with Erin. We are reading your notes. Mind if we talk?" I then looked at Gabby. "Can we do it tomorrow at the firehouse? I want to rest right now."

Jay understood. "Of course. We can talk to Severide and Hermann instead maybe." I then thought about it. "Just come tomorrow. Severide has Stephen to deal with and Hermann is at Molly's today. So, they are busy. Tomorrow would be the best time. We can do a  meeting in the conference room. You can also interview all the firefighters. I can send an e-mail about it." Jay agreed. "Of course, what time do you think?" I then bit my lip. "Can you come around 10? I am going to have a morning meeting first to tell them what's happening." Jay agreed. "Sure thing. See you then. Talk tomorrow." I agreed and we both hung up.

I then sighed as I looked at Gabby. "Do you mind if I just send a quick e-mail?" Gabby then went to cuddle up to me more. "Later. Right now, you are my teddy bear." I laughed when she said that before wrapping my arms around her. Kissing my head, I smiled as we ended up falling asleep in each other's arms for a little while.