Chapter 214

Matt's POV: Once Gabby finished making some more bottles for later, I decided to grab a couple just in case. "Why you bringing some bottles?" I then smiled. "Because we are going to feed the kids while we are up. Then, they can sleep longer." Gabby smiled and agreed as she put her hand out for me to grab. "And this is why the CFD appointment you as Chief of Firehouse 51. You come up with great ideas that makes stuff run much better." I smiled and agreed with her as I started to follow her upstairs, wrapping my arm around her waist. 

Walking up both sets of stairs that led to our room, me and Gabby made sure to be quiet along the way so that we didn't wake up the kids. But, that effort turned out to be for nothing because the babies started crying the minute we walked into our room. And that in turn woke Matteo up. Sighing, I turned to look at Gabby. "Wally or Ella?" Gabby then smiled. "You get Ella. I have Wally." I agreed with her before going to grab a bottle from her and walking towards Ella's crib. Looking down at her, I went to pick her up. "Oh, is someone hungry?"

Matteo then spoke up since he just woke up. "No, just tired papa. Why are you up?" I then turned to look at him while walking back over to bed to sit with him. "Your siblings have to eat." Matteo was confused. "But it's the middle of the night." I nodded and agreed as I went to sit up against the pillow. Grabbing the bottle, I looked at Matteo. "Your sissy and brother's tummies are a lot smaller than yours. So, they have to eat more often. This is what we do every night while you are sleeping." He nodded and agreed with me. Meanwhile, Gabby smiled.

Looking at her, I was a bit confused. "What's got you all smiles?" Gabby laughed. "It's just the way you explain stuff to him. You do it so directly but...yet not. You explain it in ways he'll understand in very simple terms yet you also add details not required." I laughed when she said that and nodded. "Sorry, it's my mindset now. I mean, not that I haven't always been this way but...I find that I am a lot more detail oriented now a days. When I am giving orders, I am doing it with so many details to make sure the calls go perfectly."

Gabby nodded and understood what I mean before smiling at me. "Hey, I get it. You are dealing in life or death situations. One mistake and you'll probably feel even more guilty that you did when you were just a captain." I agreed with her before going to grab her hand. "Luckily for me, I haven't let anybody die on my watch yet." That's when I got an e-mail. "Can I check it since we are awake?" Gabby nodded as I went to check my e-mail. I then sighed when I saw it was a report from the other crew. The death total was now 1.

"And there goes my perfect record." Gabby was confused when I said that. I then went to give her my phone and showed her the report. "That's my first death since taking over the firehouse." Gabby sighed when I said that. "How are you feeling?" I just shrugged. "Hasn't sunk in yet. Might also be that I am still tired." I then looked down at Matteo who was getting cozy in between us again. "Here, let's just lay down and keep all the kids in here for the rest of the night." Gabby smiled and nodded as she went to slip down in bed. Keeping the bottle up as I fed Ella.

Spending the next 20 minutes feeding the babies, we then proceeded to burp them and eventually...our entire family fell asleep in our bed that morning and stayed asleep for the rest of the night.