Chapter 229

Matt's POV: After making my way upstairs with the kids, I smiled as I watched Matteo get in bed with Gabby. "Here mommy, daddy said to give these to you." I nodded and then looked at Gabby. "Their blankets?" I nodded and smiled before looking at her. "You want Wally?" Gabby then laughed. "Just always give me him. I know how much you like to feed your daughter." I nodded and agreed. "I haven't been doing it much because I know how much you like it too. She is your namesake after all." Gabby smiled when I said that. "Then just pick one okay? Do you want your daughter or your son to feed?" I then thought about it and gave Ella to her.

Gabby then grabbed her and smiled. "That's probably a good move. Matteo likes to get close to you when we feed the kids and it always worries me." I nodded and understood before walking around the bed with Wally before going to grab his bottle. Getting in bed, I went to lean back against my pillow before going to put the bottle in his mouth. "God, why must our kids be such good eaters?" Gabby smiled when I said that and nodded as I kissed Wally's forehead. "Daddy loves you guys, you all know that right?" Matteo then nodded and smiled as he cuddled up to me like Gabby did sometimes. Wrapping my arm around him, I smiled.

"I think that's the real reason you wanted to feed Wally. You wanted to hold your boys close for a while." Turning to look at her, I smiled before looking down at Matteo. "Maybe that was it." I then went to kiss his forehead and smiled at him. "You comfortable there in your PJs Matteo?" Matteo nodded and smiled. Meanwhile, Gabby looked me. "We need to give him a bath tonight." I then thought about it. "Let's do it after the firehouse. You know it's dirty there." Gabby then thought about it and nodded. "Good point. But isn't it wrong to not wash him everyday? I mean, I get the babies but Matteo?" I then sighed. "We will do it then. Whatever you want."

Gabby smiled when I said that. "Hey listen...I want to ask your something as a member of Firehouse 51. Are you going to mention something about how you recently had your first death as Chief or is that a bad idea?" I bit my lip when she said that. "No, I already spoke to Severide and that's all that matters. However, I think tomorrow I might do a training session for the guys. I haven't done drills in a while." Gabby nodded and agreed. "Aerial drills especially." I smiled and agreed with her. "I just hope that as Chief, I can order it. Or should I let Hermann do it?" Gabby shook her head. "You mean someone who doesn't train us as hard as you did?"

I sighed when she said that. "I just don't want to be overstepping on his authority as Captain." Gabby shook her head and went to grab my hand. "Matt, you can't do that. You are chief and you have all the authority in the house. Hermann can only overstep on your authority...not the other way around. Just relax okay? You know this babe. Not just because you are at the top now but because you've been in both Hermann's and the PIC role. You know every single role in the firehouse because you've done it. That's exactly why you are perfect for this job." I smiled and agreed with her before going to kiss her softly. "Listen, I have to finish feeding Wally."

Gabby nodded and agreed. "You have to do something after?" I nodded. "I am going to pick out my clothes and pack my bag. Are we doing overnight again?" Gabby nodded. "Just easier. Having to bring all of our stuff, leave overnight and just go back the next day isn't fun." I agreed and nodded. "If you change your mind, I will always help bring the stuff back out...I promise." Gabby smiled and agreed with me when I said that. "I know Matt, you always will." I then went to rub her hand and smiled as we both fed the babies that afternoon. "Matteo, you let us know when you are hungry okay? Daddy will go make supper when you're hungry." Matteo nodded and smiled when Gabby looked at me.

"Can you just go make a frozen pizza when the babies are done? Bring it up here. We can do a movie marathon or something." I nodded and agreed with her until I heard the door. I then sighed and looked at her. "Can I just set her down in the crib and go see who that is?" Gabby smiled and nodded. "Actually, just get Matteo to hold her. I already taught him how to feed the babies." I smiled and agreed. "Here Matteo, sit up and you can feed your sister for me." Matteo nodded and agreed as he went to sit up. Going to give him Ella, I then went to grab the bottle of milk. "Here you go Matteo. Just be careful and make sure mommy gives you a hand."

Gabby nodded and smiled when I said that. "Go see who it is." I nodded and agreed, going to kiss her softly before walking away to head downstairs to the front door.