Chapter 220

Will's POV: When I saw Mrs. Goodwin walk into the restaurant, I was shocked. I didn't expect her to come to the restaurant for Matt's birthday party. "What are you doing here for Matt's birthday party?" Mrs. Goodwin then came to hug me. "I am here because we are equals now. Didn't you hear about his promotion?" I was confused when he said that. "There's a rank above Captain?" That's when I saw Kelly Severide walk in. "Didn't the news get to you guys in Seattle?" I then shook my head. "Why is everybody acting as if somebody died? Everything okay guys?"

Hermann then sighed when I asked. "Boden died of a heart attack last month." I was shocked when he said that. "I am so sorry. We haven't really followed the news. And I don't recall Jay and Erin mentioning it." Jay shook his head. "Sorry, I should've told you." I agreed and nodded. "Well then. On behalf of me and Natalie, I want to extend my condolensces to everybody here from Firehouse 51. He was a great guy." Everybody nodded and agreed as I went to sit down again. "Now, how's Matt as chief? Oh and Hermann, you have a breakfast menu?"

Hermann was shocked when I said that. "Breakfast?" I nodded. "I haven't ate breakfast yet. I am staying on Seattle time. So, I am having my meals 2 hours later than you guys." He agreed and nodded as he turned to look at his wife. "Can you make him some eggs or something Cindy?" Cindy nodded and agreed as she got up before wlaking over to me and putting her hand on my arm. "Anything for doctors. You did a great job last year Will." She then walked away to the kitchen to go make me some brunch. I then looked at Hermann. "How's Matt as Chief?"

That's when we heard Matt's sister and niece walk in with his mom. "In my opinion, he is doing a great job. But, you are going to have to ask his co-workers/employees about how they think he is doing?" Turning to look at Hermann, I asked the question again. "How's Matt as Chief?" Hermann smiled when I asked (again). "How about you ask him yourself? Guys, I just saw Matt and Gabby's car drive by. It's 11 o'clock after all." We all looked at him and nodded as we prepared to hide. I then looked at Jay. "Make sure you hold her tight so she doesn't attack me while I am under the table." Jay agreed and nodded as he held onto Lucky's leach tight so that she didn't hurt any of us while we hid underneath the table.

Meanwhile, outside with Matt & Gabby:
Matt's POV: As I pulled up to the restaurant with Gabby and the kids, I was confused when I saw how dark it was in the restaurant. "You're sure that Hermann is working today? It's really dark in there Gabby." Gabby then turned to look at me and nodded as she got out of the van to get Matteo out of the car. "Here Matteo, stay there. Oh Matt, can you grab the stroller?" I agreed and nodded, going to grab Ella first before going to get the stroller out of the back of the van. Once I had it out, I went to open it before putting Ella's car seat in the stroller.

Once that was done, I walked over to Gabby and let her put Wally's car seat in the stroller. Wrapping my arm around her, I smiled as I brought her close to kiss her. "Today is going to be a great day." Gabby nodded and smiled when I said that before hugging me. "Yeah, it will be." Me and Gabby then went to walk into the restaurant together, not ready for what was going to happen. "God, this place is quiet. I mean, it was open and nobody's here." That's when I saw the lights come on and a whole bunch of yelling happened.

"SURPRISE!"