Chapter 291

Matt's POV: After spending the past hour reading my e-mails and getting some furlough requests approved/denied, I went to shut off my laptop and set it aside. Looking at Jay, I smiled. "Sorry it took so long. Just had to do a whole bunch of furlough requests." Jay laughed and nodded. "I am going to have to get used to that eventually. I know that Hank hates doing them." I nodded and agreed. "It's probably a good thing about having your boss as your father-in-law. You get to learn about the job before you and Erin eventually take over when he retires."

I then went to get up and smiled when I saw that Ella was awake. "Hi sweetheart, how was your nap?" Picking her up, I went to grab the blanket that was at the end of me and Gabby's bed before going to sit next to Jay and going to cover the both of us up with a blanket. Looking at Jay, I smiled at him. "If you want to hold Wally, you go ahead." Jay smiled and agreed. "Let's just hope that this doesn't make me miss Olivia." Getting up, Jay then went to grab Wally from his crib before going to sit down next to me again. He then smiled at him. 

"So, now that I am done work...how are you doing?" Jay smiled at me. "Good, ready to be a father to 2 kids." I nodded and agreed with him. "Trust me, it's fun. Especially when you have an older kid and then a younger kid. You get to do a lot of fun stuff with the older kid and you get to have a lot of cuddles form your younger kid. It's especially helpful when your older kid stops wanting to cuddle with you. And that's where Matteo is right now. He still likes to cuddle when he's tired but other than that...he's pretty much done cuddling."

Jay nodded and agreed when I said that. "I don't think Olivia is going to be that way. She is a big daddy's girl and she always likes to lay down close to me whenever she has the chance." I smiled when he said that and nodded. "Any suggestions when it comes to watching your daughter grow up? Like when I should expect some big changes where I can say that my baby girl is really growing up?" Jay laughed when I said that. "Relax, the first big milestone in my opinion is the first steps. It's pretty much the same as a boy for the first year."

Jay nodded and agreed with me. "You nervous?" Jay shook his head. "No, we are at a point where I know what to expect from now on. We are at the point where Erin came back when she was pregnant with Olivia. So, I've been through everything with Erin once." I nodded and agreed. "Honestly, that had to be my favorite part of Wally's pregnancy. Being able to go through it with her from the start. It was amazing." Jay nodded and smiled when I said that. "At least the start of the pregnancy was easy. The end wasn't the easiest eh?"

I shook my head when he said that. "No. I was actually on my way to the airport to come back to Chicago for Boden's funeral when she went into labor." Jay laughed when I said that, thinking I was joking but...I wasn't. "Oh, you're serious." I nodded and sighed. "It was hard on me. I mean, I am in the mindset that I am on my way back to Chicago to go a funeral. But instead, I have to rush my wife to the hospital so she can give birth." Going to grab the blanket I had on top of me, I went to cover Ella up a bit more because she was cold. "You cold sweetie?"

Ella then grabbed my shirt and just laid her head down on my chest while cuddling up to me. Kissing her head, I smiled as I went to rub her back. "There we go, you look much warmer and much cozier...don't you baby girl?" Jay smiled when I said that. "I swear, you are such a pushover when it comes to your kids." I then looked at him and laughed. "Speak for yourself man. You know that you would do anything for your little girl." Jay nodded and agreed. "Oh definitely, she has me wrapped around her finger."

We both smiled when I said that and nodded. "So listen, I heard that you got your first firefighter candidate. What does that mean exactly? I am not that aware with what that means." I nodded. "So, a candidate is basically a firefighter-in-training. You are put through a trial period on a truck and your house can determine whether you are fit for service. You have a year before you are determined to be a full firefighter. Then, you can do stuff independently. When you are a candidate, you have to stay on your mentor's hip."

Jay nodded and agreed when I said that. "Do you know who it is yet?" I bit my lip and sighed. "I think I know but, I am not sure. I think I am getting Lee Henry Hermann. But, I might not. I am not sure yet. I have had problems with him because of the fact that his father is my captain. So, I am on the fence whether or not I even want to take him in. If Hermann gets distracted, then I am not sure if I am ready." Jay understood. "Listen, you just have to do what you think is best for your firehouse. He'll understand."

I nodded and smiled before sighing. "And this is a time where I want to speak to my mentor. Ask him questions about it. What my role as a Chief is when it comes to the candidate." Jay nodded and agreed. "Then you should talk to other chiefs. See what they do. Here, grab your laptop and maybe there is something in the manual. Normally they give you a training manual when you move up the ranks right?" I nodded and agreed. "Grab your iPad and go check in the manual." I nodded and agreed, grabbing my iPad so I could check the manual.

NOTE: I am going to skip a few hours to right before supper. That is when Erin & Gabby are going to be coming back from the spa to see that supper is waiting for them.