Chapter 232

Blake's POV: Once we all finished eating, I smiled as I looked at Matteo who was currently playing with a puzzle on the ground while me and Matt were grabbing a beer together. "This weird us grabbing a beer here at your place?" Matt then shook his head as he walked over to me. "No, because we are doing it for a good reason." I was confused when he gave me the beer. He then came to sit next to me and put his beer up. "To Boden." I smiled and agreed, hitting my beer bottle against his. "To Boden and our new chief. I never said congratulations."

Matt laughed and smiled. "It's hard to say congratulations. Heck, it's hard to receive the congratulations because that just reminds me that Boden is dead." I nodded and agreed with him. "At least you have a family to come back to every night. By the way, thank you so much for establishing the 12-12-48 shift rotation." Matt laughed and smiled. "Believe me, not just for you guys man. I want to be here whenever the kids are asleep in case one of them gets worried. Plus, it's easier on Gabby. But sometimes, I work 36 hours if we decide to stay at the firehouse."

I was shocked when he said that. "Is that even allowed?" Matt nodded. "For chiefs, it is allowed. However, I spend 12 of those hours sleeping so it doesn't count. That's how you guys can work 8 am to 8 pm the next day. The 12 hours where you are asleep or at home don't count. However, if you guys are working the 24 hour shift, you guys are going to get Chief Walker overnight. He's doing my overnight shifts from now on." I agreed and smiled. "Honestly, I thought that was who we were going to get when Boden first died. Either than or Hermann since he was our captain."

Matt then remembered something. "By the way, about Hermann. He is out for the next 2 days again. So, you guys are under my direct control again. Jake Cordova will be on shift with us. Not sure whether he is going to bring his wife and kid in. But, I do know that Severide is not bringing Stephen. Stella will be there though." I nodded and agreed. "But, I am not going to be there the first week of March. Gabby is having surgery on the 2nd. So, I recommended you just let the Captains take over during shifts. If not, a replacement Chief will be joining you."

That's when Matt got an e-mail. Going to check it, he laughed. "And that will be Chief Walker." When Matt said that, Gabby came downstairs seemingly confused. "What will be Chief Walker?" Matt smiled at her. "My replacement for when you are recovering from surgery. Chief Walker is taking over during your post-surgery recovery. The time I got off." Gabby nodded and agreed with him. "Well, at least he is a good Chief. I thought you guys were going to get stuck with Patterson. But then again, he's at 90 and it's pretty far at times." 

I nodded and agreed with him. "Severide said he used to work at Firehouse 51, right?" Matt nodded. "Yeah, used to be our Squad Captain. It's why I talked to Severide about trying to be a captain. Didn't want another squad leader outrank him on my scene again. It wasn't fun when I want to take control of the scene and show off my chief skills. However, I wasn't able to when I had a squad lieutenant because he was required to listen to the squad captain. Rank stuff." I nodded and agreed with him. "You know, sometimes I wish I could try squad sometimes."

Matt sighed when I said that. "Gallo, I'm sorry but you don't have the training. And I am not ready to loose another member of the team when we already lost Boden this year. So, for now can you just stay put on Truck and we can revisit whether I will let you try and change trucks?" I nodded and understood. "Hey, I have to listen you after all. You are my chief Matt. You don't have to ask me stuff remember? You can tell me to do stuff." Matt laughed when I said that and nodded while going to take another drink of his beer when he looked at Gabby.

"By the way, the kids are asleep right? I didn't even double check the camera." Gabby nodded and agreed. "Relax Matt and just have a good conversation with Gallo. I am going to go give Matteo a bath okay?" Matt agreed and nodded as she got up. Gabby then walked over to Matteo and smiled as she put her hand out. "C'mon Matteo, we need to go take a bath so that you can go to the firehouse with us tomorrow." Matteo then got up and smiled as he grabbed his mom's hand. "Say goodnight to Gallo though." Matteo then waved at me. I waved back and smiled. "You have a cute son there Chief." He agreed and smiled. "Thank you."

Gabby then turned to look at Matt. "Finish the beer and just talk for a while okay? I can take care of him. But, I am staying upstairs. Don't rush though. We have time." Matt agreed and smiled. "Of course. See you in a bit." Gabby nodded and agreed as Matt turned to look at me. "So, you feeling better compared to what brought you ehre inthe first place?" I nodded and agreed. "Yeah, thanks again for letting me in." Matt laughed and nodded. "Hey, I am here for you man. I promise." I agreed and smiled when he said that, glad to feel a connection to him once again.