Chapter 337

An hour later, after reading all the books when the Caseys are just relaxing in bed:
Gabby's POV: As I laid down next to Matt in bed, I smiled as I watched Matteo just relax next to me while playing on the iPad. That's when I felt Matt move his arm across me more. We had been cuddling for the past 15 minutes because Ella was now back in her crib after falling back asleep. So, with Matteo on the iPad and the two babies asleep in their cribs...it gave me and Matt a bit of time to just hold each other close. At least, that's what I thought Matt wanted. It wasn't until I rolled over to face him that I realized he was actually asleep.

Cuddling up to him as I wrapped my arms around his waist, I smiled as we held each other close and just relaxed in each other's arms. However, Matt didn't appreciate the fact that I did that considering it woke him up. "Why did you have to move? I was all comfortable and asleep." I smiled when he said that before slipping my legs in between his and tugging the covers up. "You aren't more comfortable now that I am in your arms?" Matt then nodded. "Oh, I am more comfortable. Just hate I had to wake up for that to happen." I then decided to tease him. 

Pulling away from him, I smiled. "I can always..." Matt then shook his head. "You leave, I am no longer going to be comfortable. I am taking advantage of all the quiet, relaxing time I can in case you know." I nodded and knew exactly what he meant. If it was a busy shift tomorrow, he wanted to be well rested since he had to go out on most of the calls as chief. And I could also tell that the paperwork and stuff was already weighing heavy on him. Oh, and this investigation. "Can I ask you something Matt?" Matt then nodded as he rubbed my arm. "Always."

I then sighed. "How stressed are you because of this investigation?" Matt sighed when I said that before opening his eyes and looking at me. "Extremely stressed. I am worried for my job. Scared that they are going to complain to the mayor and use their immense political influence to get me fired because I am 'targetting' them or something. There is a lot going on behind the scenes that I am not interested in talking about right now. Tomorrow morning, I have a meeting with Jay to talk about it and right now honestly...I would rather just have some rest. It's on my mind a lot."

I sighed when he said that. "Matt, I get it's an investigation and stuff but...I want you to talk to me about it. I get I am not a part of the firehouse and you don't want to get me involved but, I am involved. I care just as much for everybody there. You mentioned something I heard about how you are mad that it might've been for insurance? How it might've cost your men's lives for nothing." Matt sighed and nodded. "Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. If they are just using this as a way to get money...then I am going to be pissed. My men's lives are worth more."

I was about to say something else when Matt continued. "It's also even harder on me considering the fact that I am a father. I know most of the men on my crew are fathers themselves. So, having to go into a fire that was used to get insurance money...I am going to be furious if I find that out. To know that I put my men's lives at risk...possibly making some of my good friends widows and single mothers, I am just going to be so mad and furious at the others that I am going to go crazy. I know I am ranting but..." 

I sighed when he said that before bringing him close to me. I then went to give him a kiss and nodded. "Matt, take a breath and look at me." Matt nodded and agreed as he looked into my eyes. "The passion that you are showing right now...how you are reacting to this. You taking this personally is not healthy for you." Matt sighed when I said that. "Gabby, I can't not take it personally though. I know I call them my men, but they are not just my men. Gabby, they are my brothers. Putting their lives at risk for nothing bothers me so much."

I nodded and understood. "The piece I mentioned about the widows and single mothers touches a lot because I am a father. Gabby, think about what that does to your head. I don't expect you to understand but..." I just looked at Matt and interrupted him. "Make me understand Matt. Tell me about it." Matt nodded and agreed as we got ready to talk about what he has been feeling lately since he has taken over as Chief of Firehouse 51.