Chapter 256

Matt's POV: After reading the ransom not, I wracked my brain as to how this could be affecting me all these years later. I haven't been in politics since early 2018, so 4 years ago. What and how this has anything to do with my job as Chief beats me. However, this just got even more serious. Now, they are threatning my family and that is not okay with me. "Okay, Jay listen...this just got even more serious and I am not happy. They just got my family involved. They are threatning my wife and kids!" And of course, I said that right when Gabby was walking up to my door.

Gabby just stared at me. "Say what now?" I then turned to look at her. "Gabby, just go relax with the kids. I am dealing with this." Gabby just shook her head. "I was going to ask what was going on with the Wi-Fi on behalf of Matteo but now, I am staying. Sorry but you just said that they are threatning me and the kids. Sorry but, that's not okay with me. I can't just sit on the sidelines." I then sighed when she said that before going to grab her hand. "Gabby, I got this. You are going to get too worried with your anxiety and..." Gabby just look at me and shook her head. "Matt!"

I nodded and understood. "Okay then, looks like Gabby's staying. Now, what can you tell me Jay?" Jay then sighed as he looked at Erin. "We are going to need to take that laptop of yours back to CPD Headquarters and get Mouse to take a look at it. Do you have another laptop you can use for work?" I then bit my lip and turned to look at Gabby. "We have yours but, I don't have the secure VPN set up so that I can access CFD files on it. Now just curious, can we keep going or should we close the house for the day?" Erin shook her head. "No, please continue with business as usual."

I nodded and understood. "Of course. Listen, let me walk you guys out and then we can get back to work without any devices. What a great way to have kids here?" Gabby then looked at me. "You are coming right back here after. I don't care if you don't want me to get worried...I am already worried. We are going to talk about this. Oh and Jay?" Jay then turned to look at Gabby. "What's up?" Gabby sighed. "Keep Antonio informed and tell him to give me information. Sorry but, this is personal because it affects my kids. Please treat this as if it were Erin and Olivia?"

Jay nodded and agreed with her request. "Of course Gabby, I promise." Gabby nodded and smiled at him as he and Erin walked away. Turning to look at her (and closing my door), I went to stick my hands in my pockets before looking at Gabby. "Okay, before you yell at me...you have to hear me out." Gabby just laughed. "I can't wait to hear this. Matt, you almost lied to me about a threat to my life. And the kids' life. From what? Your days as an alderman...or is it because of that fire at the mansion you told me about?" I sighed when she asked me that. "That's probably it."

Gabby sighed and just shook her head. "He was a big donor to my campaign. Thinks he can get away with burning down his home and getting insurance money. I was furious when I heard he did that because he put my men at risk." I then walked over to Gabby and went to bring her close to me. Grabbing her hands, I went to intertwine our fingers while kissing her softly. "I promise Gabby, nothing is going to happen to the kids or you. I am going to keep us safe." Gabby then sighed as she looked up at me. "Matt, do you even know where we are safe anymore?"

Thinking about that, I sighed and shook my head. "Want me to take the rest of the day off or can we finish shift? It's already almost end of shift but...I have to work again tomorrow. I would understand if you aren't comfortable going home since they know where we work. Heck, they might even know where we live. I am not sure." Gabby then came to hug me when I said that before rubbing my back. "Would you be okay staying with Antonio until we are safe. God, this feels like the reason we went to the cabin all over again." I nodded and understood.

"Listen, how about you call Antonio and talk to him about it?" Putting my hands on her face, I then went to kiss her softly. "But we can stay the night if you want to." Gabby seemed to think about it and sighed. "Matt, I am just scared. What if they come here and try to hurt us?" I then smiled at her. "Then there is no safer place we can be. The firehouse has a lot of places where we are safe and can hide. I promise Gabby, we are safe here." Gabby understood and agreed. "I am calling Antonio though. He is coming right now so we can talk about this. Get the e-mail on your iPad. I want him to see it."

I nodded and agreed with her. Watching Gabby walk away, I took a deep breath and just let out a sigh because I knew that our life just got a whole lot more complicated.