Chapter 208

Matt's POV: Once me and Gabby finished our shower, I was now on my way to bed with her so that we could relax. Seeing that she was already laying back against her pillow with Ella on her chest. "Did that little one wake up?" Gabby then looked at me and nodded. "Sorry." Grabbing some boxers out of my dresser, I then went to put them on under my towel before taking it off. "Hey, don't apologize. It's actually good she woke up. It gives us a chance to have a little bit of one-on-one time with one of our kids."

Gabby smiled and agreed with me when I said that. Getting in under the covers, I then went to slipped close to Gabby before wrapping my arm around my girls. Looking down at Ella, I smiled as I tugged the covers up and then went to grab her little hand. Feeling her fingers wrap themselves around mine. "Oh god, that's adorable." Gabby smiled when I said that before laying her head down on my arm. I then turned my head and smiled as I leaned down to kiss her softly. "I think this is the perfect way for us to continue our day."

Gabby smiled when I said that and nodded. "You just like sitting with me in bed don't you?" I smiled and nodded. "Considering I don't get to do it as much...of course. Plus, this is where we always laugh the most. And I want that for you Gabby. Enough witht he always serious...you need to laugh more and relax." Gabby then sighed. "It's just hard right now when I am still grieving. Is it weird that I find myself grieving more for Boden than I did for Shay?"

I shook my head when she said that and went to grab her hand. "Hey, of course not. You knew Boden for longer than you did Shay and we both saw him as a father figure." Gabby nodded and agreed. "Think you can take Ella in your arms? I think I want to nuzzle up to you and maybe even take a nap for a bit." I nodded and agreed as I went to grab Ella from her. "Here, get close to me and I can wrap my arm around you. However, let's keep talking." Gabby agreed and nodded as she came to lay down in my arms.

Wrapping her arms around me, Gabby then went to kiss my chest while I wrapped my arm around her back and kissed the top of her head. "Talk to me Gabby. Tell me what's going on in your grieving process and let me help you through this." Gabby nodded and agreed with me. "I guess I am just getting to the point of acceptance. Where the reality is hitting me enough that I can finally believe it's true. It's been that way after going to the firehouse a few times. Not seeing him and his big personality there....seeing you in his office instead." I then thought about that. "Be honest with me, has it been hard seeing me in that office instead?"

 Gabby sighed when I asked her that. "You see, it's a situation where I have mixed emotions. I am sad because that's no longer Boden's office. Yet at the same time, I am so proud becuase it's your office now. My amazing husband is now Firehouse 51's chief and I couldn't be prouder." I nodded and smiled as I went to look at Ella and saw she was falling asleep. "Listen, let me just put her in her crib and then I'll get back in bed. We can keep going with this conversation but you'll be right against me this time." Gabby nodded as she let me out of bed.

Getting out of bed, I went to walk over to Ella's crib and laid her down. Tugging her blanket up, I then turned back around quickly to look at Gabby who looked really comfortable in bed. However, I knew that she was going to be even more comfortable once I got back in bed with her. Making my way over to her, I opened the covers again before slipping back into bed and wrapping my arm around her back. Gabby then moved back to where she was just laying and put her hand on my chest while cuddling up to me. "Now, where were we?"

Gabby smiled as she rubbed my chest. "We were talking about how I am feeling. Matt, I just want to say that of course I am proud that you took over 51. It's just, I'm also sad at the same time that you had to take over. I mean...had it been because Boden retired, it wouldn't be so hard. However, it's hard because that wasn't the case. It was because he died." I nodded and agreed with her. "Are you still sad about him never getting to meet our youngest kids?" Gabby nodded. "Of course I am, just like I am sad that Shay never got to meet any of our 4 kids."

I thought about it and turned to look at Gabby. "You including Louie in that total?" Gabby then bit her lip. "Is that okay?" I nodded. "Of course it is. By the way, I am positive that things would've gone differently had she been there. She would've spoken to me way before Antonio did." Gabby laughed when I said that and nodded. "Oh definitely. She would've learned through Kelly or me on the Ambo. And then, she would've came back to the house and barged into your office just like Antonio did." I laughed when she said that. "Totally."

Gabby then looked up at me. "By the way, I wanted to say that your idea of helping a kid with money is something I like. I am considering it. Just give me a bit of time okay? I am going to have to change my mindset from needing to have to take the kid in to help them to just doing it with money." I nodded and understood as I went to kiss her forehead softly. "It would be similar to what we did in Puerto Rico. Just instead of helping by building homes and stuff, it would be by giving money. Speaking of money and Puerto Rico, any fundraising events?"

Gabby laughed, liking the transition I made. "I will have to speak to them. Maybe I can volunteer with the CFD Puerto Rico team here in Chicago while I am on maternity leave?" I thought about it and then nodded. "If you can get a job there that will allow you to keep your maternity leave benefits, I am all for it. But can you just wait a bit Gabby? You are still recovering. However, if you can do it from home...then I am all for it." Gabby smiled when I said that and nodded before kissing me softly. "Listen, think you can just hold me and kiss me? I want to do it until I fall asleep."

I nodded and smiled when she said that. "Don't have to ask me twice." I then went to kiss her softly as we held each other close. And I continued to kiss her until she fell asleep in my arms.