Chapter 247

Matt's POV: After making my way towards my office, I smiled when I saw Gabby breastfeeding Wally while cuddling up to a sleeping Ella and reading to Matteo in spanish. "Seems like everything is going much better in here." Gabby then turned to look at me and nodded. "You need to talk about that or would you rather wait until they are napping?" Gabby sighed when I brought it up. "Can we just wait a bit?" I nodded and agreed. "I wasn't going to talk about the order. I just want to check in with you. I know you have a lot on your mind right now. Being the caring husband and father I am...I know that it's my job to at least give you the opportunity to talk to me if you need to talk to me." Gabby smiled and nodded. "Just read it Matt."

I laughed and agreed as I went to grab it so that I could read it. "I can put it in my office here? There's a safe. Probably safer here than at home." Gabby then thought about it and nodded. "Yeah, in case of emergencies." I sighed when she said that. "Being a firefighter, I always see that people leave some of the most important documents behind when they are in a hurry. And we would do the same because you four are some things I can't replace." Gabby smiled when I said that before putting her hand out. Walking over to her, I went to grab it and then leaned down to kiss her softly. "I love you. Now, I am going to go do a bit of work in the other office. Come see me if you need anything okay? Or if you just want to see me." Gabby smiled when I said that.

Once I finished checking on them, I walked away so that I could head to my other office down the hall. Grabbing my phone along the way, I went to check my e-mails when I heard Gabby yelling for Matteo. "Matteo!" Turning around to see he's coming with me, I smiled and went to grab his hand. "Gabby, I got him." I then went to walk back to our office and smiled. "He probably just wants to sit with me while I work." Gabby then bit her lip. "Is that okay with you?" I nodded and smiled. "Of course it is. Now, let's go get to work Matteo. Daddy has to write a report for his boss." Matteo nodded and agreed as we walked away to my office together. That's when I decided to just pick him up because it was faster. Matteo liked it when I did that and smiled.

"Now this is exactly what I want on my birthday." Kissing his head, I smiled as we started to make our way to my office together when Hermann stopped me. "That's right. Happy birthday chief." I smiled when he said that and went to shake his hand. "Thanks Hermann. But listen, can you do me a solid and get the candidate to bring me some food in my office? Need to get some reports looked at. Not today's reports but the reports from the past 2 days. Don't like to work much at home." Hermann nodded and agreed as he walked away to the common room to get the candidate to bring me some food. "Oh Hermann..." Hermann then turned to look at me. "Yes?" I then smiled and pointed at Matteo. "Him too?" He nodded and laughed. "Of course."

I smiled when he said that before continuing to carry Matteo towards my office. Walking in, I smiled as I went to sit down in my chair where I had my laptop set up. "You want to help papa do some work buddy?" Matteo nodded and agreed as I moved under the desk and went to attach my laptop to both my external monitor and the keyboard. Loging into my laptop, I then went to open my e-mail to see that Jay sent me something from his e-mail. Opening it, I went to read the e-mail to see what it is.

To: Casey, Matthew (mcasey)
Cc: Hermann, Christopher (chermann); Severide, Kelly (kseveride)
Subject: Crime Scene Report Template

Hi Chief Casey and Firehouse 51 Captains,
I am writing you today to provide you with the crime scene report that the joint CPD-CFD task force on Criminal Arson Investigations have recently provided. I know I saw you on the scene and I am not normal CPD but, thought it might just be easier to do this as your friend. Hope you can understand. If you have any questions...just send me an e-mail or call me at extension 51163.

For reference, this is case #2022-AR15

Detective Jay Halstead - Officer #51163
Deputy Head of Intelligence, Undercover Operations

Going to open the attachment, I went to see what exactly the report template they wanted to use. Going to check through it, I liked it and decided to save it twice. Once for future use and once for the current case. I then decided to name it after it's case file number before going to see what type of questions I have to answer. Reading them over, I went to start writing them when I remembered that we are not to co-ordinate answers. So, instead of writing my answers in a more technical term...I used the standard terms that an average person would understand.

Moving my chair up more, I smiled as I wrapped my arm around Matteo when I heard Hermann at my door. "Chief, you have a minute or is it still Matt?" I laughed when he said that. "Chief please. I am working. But, what's up Hermann?" Hermann then sighed. "I am here with my report. But, I heard something about this being a CFD case?" I looked at him and nodded. "Hermann, did you not check your e-mail?" Hermann shook his head when I asked him that. "There's an e-mail from the CPD. Detective Halstead sent a template that you should use."

Hermann just looked at me and sighed. "Sorry Chief. I promise, I will write it." I nodded. "I asked the CFD to put a computer in your office for a reason Hermann. Just do it on there and sent it to me. Anyways, I have to send it to the CPD when it's done. They are taking this on as an intelligence case because of what firehouse was involved. Apparently, all investigations related to Firehouse 51 are going to be handled by intelligence because me, Gabby and Sylvie are all related to Antonio in one way or another. And we are also friends with the Deputy Heads of Inteligence Jay and Erin Halstead."

Hermann agreed and smiled. "By the way, wanted to give you an update on Lee Henry. He's back at the Academy." I agreed and smiled. "Good, tell him to keep up the good work so that he's ready when he comes here." Hermann smiled and agreed. "Are we ever going to let him back or..." I sighed when he asked that. "Hermann, I am sorry but...I changed my mind on that. Maybe not yet okay? I am not ready for the liability. I am on thin ice. I shouldn't have done it. I haven't even been Chief for a month yet, I have already had a candidate in the hospital. Not the best track record." Hermann nodded and agreed.

"Can you give him a copy of the forms that all firefighters have to fill out after every fire? I want him to practice. Get him to do the first fire of every shift. Give him the set of facts that you laid out in your report to me and then get him to do it." Hermann smiled and agreed. "You know, that's something they don't teach when you are a candidate. How to do the reports." I nodded and agreed, laughing a bit. "Well, now we will. Please get him started on that tonight. However, do not use this fire as the details of this fire need to stay confidential. Criminal case."

Hermann smiled and agreed. "Of course chief. Next run." I nodded and agreed as he walked away before going back to work on my report.