Chapter 233

Matt's POV: Once I finished up with Gallo downstairs, I was now in my master bedroom upstairs getting undressed when I just took a moment to sit on the edge of the bed and relax. Listening to his story got me a bit emotional when it come to loosing Boden all over again. I was trying to hide my emotions but that wasn't possible because Gabby just came out and saw me. "Hey, what's wrong Matt?" Looking up at her, I sighed. "God, just grief taking over again. After talking to Gallo about all that...it just brings up memories of a lot of stuff including how I miss Boden. Miss his wisdom and his big presence not just at the firehouse but in Chicago in general. At least once a day, we saw him regardless of whether we were working or not and it hurts sometimes."

Gabby nodded and understood waht I said as she walked over to me. "Here, lay down for a minute. The kids are all in bed and ready to sleep. I will get in and we can talk." I nodded and agreed as I went to slip into bed when I saw Gabby get in with me. Laying down on my chest, Gabby cuddled up to me while I wrapped my arm around her back. Rubbing my chest, Gabby then went to kiss me softly. "Matt, talk to me. I am here to give you the supper you need right now. What's going on Matt and be honest with me. Don't tell me half truths just to get me to shut up." I nodded and agreed as I tugged the covers up and wrapped my arm around her back.

" I know you are probably grieving just as much...it's just the idea that the kids will never have a grandfather is a bit hard on me. I mean, sure they could have a grandfather if your dad wasn't such a horrible guy. But, Boden was their only chance to have a grandfather. And it was taken away from them. I guess that's what's making this even harder. Plus, I have some pretty big shoes to fill at the firehouse. He was an amazing chief and I was so honored to serve with him. We all were. But now, with him gone...it's just so hard to be there sometimes yet, it feels so right. It makes me feel like we are close to him again even though he's gone. That make sense?"

Gabby nodded and smiled at me. "Matt, that makes perfect sense. I understand because that is how I feel. This is not fair to any of us but...the kids not meeting him is not something we can change. Matt, be honest. If you could choose between him dying before he met the kids or after. What would be harder on you?" I then thought about it and sighed. "I am not sure. Maybe it's easier because then, I don't have to worry about them being confused about how somebody new was introduced into their lives and is now gone all of a sudden." Gabby agreed with me. "You remember how hard it was when Matteo met my bisabuela shortly before she died."

I thought about that and agreed with her before going to grabbing the back of Gabby's head. I then brought her lips to mine and smiled as I went to kiss her softly. "How do you always find just the right words to make me feel better?" Gabby smiled when I said that. "Because I love you and have this way with you." Putting her hands on my chest while I wrapped my arm around her back...I then went to rub it before unclipping her bra. "Not so fast mister, do that back up. You already had your birthday pleasure in bed. But, you are going to get some more in the morning." I was confused when she said that. "I am?" Gabby nodded and smirked as she kissed my neck.

"I am joining you in the shower so, set your alarm for 10 minutes earlier than normal please." I smiled when she said that and nodded. "Yes ma'am." Going to grab her neck, I then moved to turn her head while kissing her slowly. "30 minutes earlier. I want to take a bath with you tomorrow morning." Gabby smiled and agreed with me as I turned her head and went to kiss her neck softly. "I love you." Gabby smiled and turned her head again to kiss me. "I love you too Matt." Smiling as we held each other close, I went to shut the light off before continuing to kiss Gabby until she fell asleep on my chest that night.