Chapter 285

Matt's POV: After moving both of the cribs next to the bed, I smiled as I went to get in bed next to Gabby who was now feeding Ella. With Wally in his crib and me under the blankets, I went to grab my laptop so that I could get to work. "Do you mind if I start working or would you rather I wait until you are done feeding her?" Turning to look at me, Gabby shook her head. "No, you go ahead and start working. The faster you are done, you can spend quality time with them."

I agreed and smiled when she said that because it was true. I wanted to spend as much quality time with the kids whenever I wasn't working. I never wanted them to feel as if I was neglecting them. I just had a really busy job and that meant that I need to work a lot sometimes. Watching Gabby feed Ella, I went to grab my laptop and put it on my lap as I went to open my e-mail. And of course, it was that time of year. Furlough requests for summer.

I then shook my head and sighed. "And my job as a judge and jury has begun." Turning her head to look at me, Gabby was confused. "What do you mean by that?" I sighed and went to show her all the e-mails that I just got. "See all these e-mails?" Gabby nodded and looked at me. "They are all furlough requests. Gabby then shook her head. "And of course, everybody probably wants to be off around the same time don't they?" I nodded and agreed.

"4th of July and then labor day." Gabby agreed and looked at me as she moved close to me and then rubbed my arm. "You booked labor day right?" I nodded. "Yeah, Matteo's birthday and our wedding anniversary." Gabby then looked at my e-mail." Did Hermann or Severide put in for Labor Day weekend?" I went to check and nodded. "Yeah, Severide went to put in for Labor day weekend." Gabby sighed. "Well, tell him that he can't because you are out that weekend."

I sighed and agreed with her. "He is going to hate me." Gabby nodded and agreed with me. "Well you know what, you are Chief and you need to make decisions based on the facts you have. Knowing that you are out that weekend, you need to make sure that the officers are there." I nodded and agreed with her. "And Severide has to understand that it isn't personal. It's strictly me acting as his chief/the head of Firehouse 51." Gabby smiled when I said that.

I then went to look at the other e-mails when I saw that the next chief meeting has been schedule. "Okay, I am letting you know ahead of time that I am not going to be at supper on March 26th. I have to go to the Academy for the monthly Chief's meeting." Gabby nodded and agreed. "Those are unavoidable so, I understand." I smiled when she said that before feeling her move close to me. "Maybe I can wait to do this until after the kids are asleep again."

Gabby then agreed. "Can you? That way we can cuddle. And if I sleep, I do. If not, I am at least cuddled up to my sexy chief while he does his work." I smiled when she said that before kissing her forehead. "Then, I am going to set his ahead, grab Wally and feed him with a bottle. Then, they are both fed and then they can just relax in their cribs." Gabby nodded and agreed with me. Getting up, I went to grab Wally. And of course, he started to cry right away.

"I'm sorry buddy, you can go back to sleep after you get a bit of food in you okay?" I then went to carry him to the fridge so that I could grab a bottle that Gabby made. Checking how many was left, I saw there was only 2 left. "You are going to have to make some more later okay? We are down to our last 2 after this." Gabby nodded and agreed. "Sure think, I will make sure to do that while they are either asleep or you are working." I smiled and nodded while sitting down. 

Moving to hold Wally in my arms, I went to start feeding him when I saw that somebody was calling us on FaceTime. Seeing it was Antonio, I turned to look at Gabby. "It's Antonio. Might be Matteo just to say hi. Accept or deny?" Gabby then smiled. "Accept. I wouldn't mind just saying hi." I agreed and nodded as I went to answer the call so that we could talk to Matteo while we fed the kids that morning.