Chapter 185

Matt's POV: After finishing our glasses of wine, I decided to clean them in the kitchen while Gabby headed up to bed. Since it didn't take me long, I was now on my way upstairs to bed when I saw Matteo's light on in his bedroom. Going to walk up to the door, I saw him under the covers coloring. Walking over to him, I then sighed as I went to sit down next to him. "Hm, last time I checked I was just in here an hour ago putting Mr. Matteo Casey to bed. I wonder where he is and what this light is under his blankets." Matteo then tugged the covers down. "It's me papa." I then smiled at him and went to rub his cheek. "You know, it's bedtime Matteo. You were tired."

Matteo nodded and agreed as he went to give me his coloring book. Grabbing it from him, I went to to fold it on my lap before seeing him lay down. "So, you liked being at the firehouse today bud?" Matteo nodded and smiled. "I want to come in with you more." I agreed and smiled. "Maybe not everyday okay bud? We are going to send you to see our friends Mrs. Starlett and Mrs. Taylor. They run a daycare. Do you know what that is Matteo?" Matteo then shook his head. "It's a place where a whole bunch of kids your age go and hang out during the day while your mommies and daddies work. It'll help you make friends here in Chicago."

Matteo smiled and nodded. "That sounds like fun." I nodded and smiled. "Believe me, it will be. Right now though, you are going to stay with mommy as much as possible. You need to get used to Chicago. Matteo, do you remember Chicago?" Matteo then shook his head. "Well, this is my hometown. Remember that home you slept at last night?" Matteo nodded. "That was my childhood home remember? I lived there when I was your age. That's how long I've lived in Chicago. So, I have a lot of friends here and you are going to make some. I promise."

Matteo nodded and agreed with me. "I love you papa." I smiled when he said that. "I love you too Matteo and just know that I am always here for you okay? If you ever need to talk to me, I am only a call away. I may be fire chief but...my job as your dad will always come first. You are my little man and my dream come true. I have always wanted kids and you my little man are everything and more that I've ever wanted in a son." He smiled when I said that and nodded. "I love you papa." I smiled and nodded when he said that. "I love you too Matteo." I then went to kiss his forehead and then got up. Shutting off his lamp, I covered him up.

Once I was sure that he wasn't going to wake up again, I went to walk out of his room and closed the door behind me just enough to still let some light in. Once that was done, I went to make my way upstairs to me and Gabby's bedroom so that we could relax together.

Once I made my way upstairs, I smiled when I saw her sitting in bed. "What took so long?" I then sighed. "Matteo was still awake. I just got him to fall asleep." Gabby smiled and nodded when I said that. Taking my phone out of my pocket, I then went to put it on my sidetable charger when I looked at her. "You look comfortable in one of my shirts."

Gabby smiled when I said that. "Oh, is this one of your shirts, I didn't know. I seem to not be able to distinguish my clothes from yours at times." Opening the covers, I smiled as I went to slip into bed with her. Wrapping my arm around her, I felt her cuddle up to me more while putting her head on my shoulder. Wrapping my arm around her back, I tugged the covers up before moving to kiss her softly.

"So tomorrow morning, I want to just stay in bed okay? We get the three kids up here and we just have a morning in bed. Think we can do that every time we have shift?" Gabby smiled and nodded. "I am not going to complain with spending more time with you in bed." I smiled when she said that and went to kiss her softly. "Me neither. Honestly, I feel like this is the only place where we can't be disturbed by anybody but our kids."

Gabby nodded and agreed as she went to rub my chest. "However, I wouldn't change anything. Us being able to be disturbed by our kids is exactly what I want. It's what I always dreamed on. Having our kids run in on Christmas morning or even any other morning and wake us up." I smiled and agreed with her. "God, I have to say. Last Christmas in Puerto Rico was incredible. That was the first time I ever spent Christmas on the beach. Best Christmas ever."

Gabby then stared at me. "Speak for yourself! I was waddling on the beach while also trying to catch up to you. Matt, I was almost 9 months pregnant at Christmas. You should've slowed down." I nodded and agreed. "I liked the rituals though. The spanish stuff was fun." I smiled and agreed. "I want to go back again for a vacation. Maybe once yearly okay? Maybe 2 weeks a year. One to vacation, one to volunteer." I smiled and thought about it. "Let me think about it."

Gabby then looked at me. "Why do you have think about it? You know that it would make me happy?" She then sat up and looked at me. "Isn't that what you strive for." I then looked at her and sat up. "Hey, of course that's what I strive for in life. But, we also have to take into account other things. Gabby, I am low in Seniority. Who knows if I am even going to get Christmas off. I think I actually checked the schedule and we are working that day." Gabby then sighed and understood. "Right, I understand." Gabby then went to lay down.

Laying down on my side, I went to grabd her hand and smiled before bringing her close to my chest. Once she was close to me, I put my hand on her hip and looked at her while also tugging the covers up more. "Gabby, I would love to go back and volunteer. But this year, I already booked my time off. I need to concentrate on being a chief. I promise, maybe next year. Plus, I want Matteo to experience snow for the first time. He was too young to remember it. So a white Christmas. Don't you want that for our kids?"

Gabby smiled and nodded. "Of course I do. But listen, enough about the end of the year. More about now. More specifically, stuff you want to do for your birthday either tomorrow or the day after. Matt, it's your birthday and I at least want to go outside withe kids once or twice. Since it's your birthday....you get to pick. So, what do you want to do for an activity?"