Chapter 339

Matt's POV: Making my way downstairs to Matteo's bedroom, I smiled as I saw him looking at some of his toys. "Just remember that you are going to have to share those toys if you bring them along Matteo." I then walked over to his closet and went to grab the little suitcase we have for him to use when he has to stay somewhere overnight. I then went to look at his underwear drawer and smiled as I went to pack a few of his underwear and some pull-ups just in case. Heck, sometimes he wears both. "Matteo, what color socks you want to wear over the next 2 days?" Matteo then shrugged. Getting a bit concerned, I went to bend down. "What's up bud?"

Matteo then looked at me. "Why do I go to uncle Tonio's when you go to work? Wasn't I a good boy when I stay at the firehouse?" I then sighed while grabbing his hands. "Matteo, it's not that I don't want you there. It's that...it's easier on mommy. You aren't old enough to understand but mommy has stuff in her mind like you. It's not good for her to worry. And having 3 kids at the firehouse is hard on her. Daddy isn't always there to help with you, Ella and Gabriel. Daddy has to go out on calls sometimes and it's just easier for you to stay at uncle Tonio's. Plus, it's kinda boring there isn't it? Honestly, I am kinda jealous that you get to go to uncle Tonio's."

Matteo was shocked when I said that. "You are?" I nodded and smiled at him. "But listen, I am going to tell you this. It's only for tomorrow. You are going to come to the firehouse the day after tomorrow. We just want you to be with uncle Tonio tomorrow because daddy is going to be extra busy tomorrow. If he wasn't as busy tomorrow...you would come with us. I promise. It's my fault that you aren't coming tomorrow. But hey, at least you get to go play with your cousin Theo." Matteo smiled when I said that before going to hug me. "I love you papa." I smiled when he said that. "I love you too. And I promise, you are going to come to the firehouse in 2 sleeps."

Matteo nodded and agreed with me when I said that. "Now, we really need to get you packed. How about you go pick out some shirts you want to wear?" Matteo nodded and went to walk over to his closet to pick out some shirts for me. I specifically put the clothes rack that low for a reason. This way, he could be involved in the process of picking out his clothes. It gives him a bit more independence and allows him more opportunities to have an opinion. We want to encourage him to share his points of view becuase that's important in life...to say what you are thinking. And considering we think he has what Gabby has, that's even more important.

Seeing Matteo grab a couple shirts, I smiled because that was good that he picked them. "Here papa, I want to wear these." I smiled when he said that and nodded. "Go pick out some toys okay? And make sure to grab your blankie if you want to sleep upstairs with us tonight." Matteo nodded and agreed as he went to grab it for me. Packing up his bag, I smiled at him. "Hey bud, how about you sit on your bed for a minute okay? I want to talk to you." Matteo nodded and agreed as he went to sit on his bed. Taking a deep breath, I decided that this was the perfect time for me to talk to him. I needed to make sure that he knew we loved him even if we worked.

I had this feeling that was really what this was about. He just didn't want to say it outright considering he's shy at times, even with us. Sitting on his bed next to him, I went to wrap my arm around him. "Hey bud, you know that me and your mom love you with all our hearts right? That you are the most important thing to us." Matteo then looked up at me and nodded. "It's just...we have important jobs. Well, I do. Your mom just likes to come to the firehouse because she needs to help out. It's something you don't have to worry about okay? But just remember this...you are the most important little guy in my life. You made me a daddy and you will always be my little boy. Even when you are older and just as strong as daddy."

Matteo smiled when I said that before going to hug me. Holding him in my arms, I smiled as I went to kiss the top of his head. "Listen, let's just get your toys packed and then we can go make supper for mommy okay? After that, we can cuddle in bed together. That sounds like fun right?" Matteo nodded and agreed with me as he got up. Going to grab some more of his toys, I smiled and teared up a bit as I knew this was going to just get harder and harder as he grew up. He just didn't understand yet and someday he will understand, I hope at least. If he doesn't...I might actually reconsider whether this is the right career for me.

Moving to get up again, I walked back over to Matteo's closet to keep packing up his clothes for the next couple nights...praying that I said the right things to calm him down and get him to understand that we are only sending him to Antonio's because it's what's best for him and Gabby.