Chapter 196

Matt's POV: When Christie asked me about how my grieving was going, I sighed because I hadn't really put much thought into actually going through the process of grieving. My life was so busy and even though, I knew I had to...I had 3 kids to help take care of, as well as a full-time job which was also our sole source of income. Looking at my sister, I sighed. "Well, I have a lot on my plate right now and it's hard. I try to grieve but then I get busy because I am currently the sole source of income right now. I have to talk to the CFD if they care hire Gabby and put her maternity leave so that we can get at least a little bit of extra income through that."

Christie sighed when I said that. "Listen Matt, I get we all grieve in our own way but...we both know that's not healthy. You need to take the time to grieve so that you aren't distracted at work. Being there must make it hard." I then nodded and agreed with her. "Of course it's hard Christie. But that's going to always be there. And I am never going to forget that because of Wally. He died within a week of Gabby giving birth to him. That's why we named him after Boden remember? To honor him and have a piece of him in our life."

Christie somewhat understood what I meant. "I just hope that you aren't holding it all in." I shook my head when she said that. "Of course not Christie. I am taking my time to grieve whenever I talk with my co-workers/staff at the firehouse. We talk about him and I learned recently that he knew it was coming. Something told him that he didn't have much time. He was the one who actually suggested me as his replacement. It was in his will. That's why I was so hellbent on coming back to take this job. I felt like I had a duty to honor his final wishes. Does that make any sense?"

Christie nodded and understood. "Of course that makes sense Matt. We all grieve in our own ways and that's how you grieve. Sorry if I am questioning how you've been grieving." I nodded and smiled at her before turning to look at Gabby and grabbing her hand. Intertwining our fingers, I smiled as I went to kiss her hand. "This one here has been a big help though. Just knowing she is on my side and was fully supportive about our choice to move here again and letting me take over the house...that was very helpful."

Gabby then smiled when I said that. "Matt, I haven't told you this but...learning it was in his will was really what convinced me the most. I factored in how great you would be at the job of course. But, his will just solidified my decision. I mean, as much as I hated the fact that you would be going back to the firehouse and putting your life on the line...I couldn't disrespect Boden that way. I just didn't have the heart to do that. And god, being there at the dedication you did was hard. I just didn't know how hard it would be."

Christie nodded and smiled at me. "But, you did a great job." I smiled when she said that before turning to look at Violet. "Okay, now enough tears on my birthday. I want to ask Violet something." Violet then looked at me. "Go ahead uncle Matt." I then smirked at her. "Who's Dylan McDunn who's in all your pictures on FaceBook?" Violet then blushed and looked at me. "You look at my FaceBook?" I then nodded. "Violet, I was in Puerto Rico for the past year. Who is this guy and do I need to give him a good talking to?"

Violet laughed when I said that. "Like I am going to be able to stop you. We both know you are very protective of me. And he's my boyfriend. We started dating about 3 months ago in October." I nodded and understood. "You met him obviously Christie. How is he?" Christie laughed. "Trust me, I put him through the test. I asked him all the questions that I should've asked Jim when I thought he was doing shady stuff. Didn't want that for Violet." I nodded and agreed. "By the way, heard he got divorced again? Not surprised considering his personality."

Violet then looked at me. "Uncle Matt, can you please note do this here? Remember, he's my dad and his ex is the mother of my half-sister." I then agreed. "Sorry, just recently learned that he's under investigation by OFI. One of Boden's last fires was at a building his company owned." Christie sighed when I said that. "That mean he can go to jail?" I shook my head. "No, he can't. They can fine him though." Gabby then looked at me. "Oh, he can go to jail Matt if it's serious enough. By the way, did Matt ever tell you how he said goodbye to me in 2017? In the fire?"

Christie then shook her head. "What are you talking about?" I sighed when she asked. "I was stuck in a fire and thought I was a gonner. I said goodbye to Gabby over the radio because she was on scene. Obviously I survived." Christie smiled and agreed. "But, we recently had a fire there again. It brought back all those memories and it was horrible. I actually said a prayer while I was there because I was scared out of my mind. I didn't want to repeat that situation. Emotion filled calls like that are hard because it distracts me a bit. I am just glad I have help."

Christie smiled when I said that. "Let me guess, Gabby helps a lot?" I nodded and agreed. "She's my biggest supporter and honestly, I could never do this without her. Now, I want to ask this. There's some rumors that I have a niece who is thinking of going into Paramedic?" Violet then laughed. "Yeah, I am really looking into it. This family is so into service...I thought it was just right to follow in your lead. Didn't want to be a firefighter though so...I thought being a paramedic was the next best thing. Why, is there a spot at Firehouse 51?"

I then shook my head. "We are full. But, when you graduate...we'll see. Depends what Gabby does when the kids are older. Just let me know what you do and promise me that you will not go into the private sector. I refuse to allow you to become a paramedic for them. They are horrible. Making money over people who are dying and/or are seriously injured...it's disgusting." Gabby nodded and agreed. "Yet I actually considered joining them. Glad I didn't after that scene I saw. They literally abandoned a patient because he didn't have insurance."

Christie just shook her head and was disgusted when Gabby said that. "Well, that's just wrong. I am glad that fire crews don't have that option." I then looked at her. "Not that you would ever think I would do it." Christie then looked at me too. "Of course Matt. I know you. You will always save the day if you can." I laughed and agreed. "Now, onto other topics. What you guys want for a snack and/or an early lunch. I know that Gabby needs to have something quick becuase she has to do a feeding soon." Gabby then smiled. "Can you get a bowl of yogurt with cereal?"

I nodded and agreed with her while getting up. Christie then looked at me. "I am fine Matt. We had breakfast right before we came. Now, go get it so we can keep talking." I agreed and smiled while walking away so that I could get Gabby a snack.