Chapter 222

Matt's POV: After saying hi to everybody, I made my way to the booth me and Gabby were using when I saw that Antonio was now in my booth with Sylvie and their 2 kids. I then walked over and smiled. "How did I miss you guys come in with my 2 adorable nieces and nephews." Antonio then got up and smiled as he came to hug me. "Happy birthday, again man." I laughed and agreed while going to hug Sylvie. "How are you doing Sylvie?" Sylvie then looked at me. "Am I speaking to my brother-in-law or Chief? I want to make sure that you don't rush me back."

I then sighed and turned to look at everybody. "Looks like I have to make an announcement." Gabby laughed and agreed as she grabbed my hand. Looking at everybody, I went to make my way to the bar. "Okay, listen up everybody. I have an announcement to make before this party goes any further." Everybody then turned to look at me. "This is specific to the people here from Firehouse 51. When we speak today, I am speaking to you as your friend...not as your chief. Promise me no firehouse stuff right now when we are celebrating my birthday."

Everybody nodded and agreed before I went back to my conversation with Sylvie. "So, I am going to ask you this again Sylvie. How are you doing?" Sylvie then laughed. "I am doing good post-recovery. I mean sure, I am tired since she is only 5 days old and stuff. By the way, don't expect us to stay long. I need to rest. We are just here until lunch at the latest." Antonio nodded as he went to rub her back. "I am positive that Matt understands Sylvie." Sylvie nodded and smiled when he said that. "Believe me, I do Sylvie. Plus, I have 3 kids here."

That's when I saw Diego and his girlfriend walk into the restaurant. "Hey Antonio, did you know that Diego was coming today?" He then turned to look at Diego and was shocked. "I mean, I told him that there was a party today for your birthday. But, I didn't expect him to come." That's when he walked over to me. "Uncle Matt, happy birthday." I then smiled as I went to hug him. "Who's this catch Diego." Diego then smiled. "This is my girlfriend, Maddy FitzPatrick." Wrapping his arm around her, he went to kiss her softly. "Hope it's okay I brought her along."

Gabby smiled. "It's okay Diego. Matt's niece is coming with her boyfriend." I then turned to look at her. "Perfect." Gabby laughed when I said that when she got a text. 'Hey, we're here. We miss the surprise already?' Gabby then went to text her back. 'Yeah, just come in and say happy birthday.' Christie and Violet then did just that. Seeing them at the door (with whom I presumed to be her boyfriend), I walked over. "Sis." Christie then smiled as she walked up to me. "Happy birthday again Matt." I then turned to look at Violet. "Hi uncle Matt."

I then smiled as she hugged me before kissing my cheek. "Happy birthday." I then agreed before turning to look at the new gentleman in her life. "Who's this?" Christie then laughed as she walked away. Meanwhile, Violet turned to look at her boyfriend. "Uncle Matt, this is my boyfriend Dylan McDunn. Dylan, this is my uncle Fire Chief Matt Casey of Firehouse 52." I then shook my head. "It's firehouse 51 Violet. But, pleasure to meet you Dylan." I then went to grab his hand and squeezed it while shaking it. "Hurt my niece and you deal with me."

He then got scared when I said that. "Violet, you sure that this is a good idea? I mean, he scares me." I nodded and laughed when he said that. "Oh relax kid. I am not going to do anything to you. Then I am going to be ghosted by my niece. I mean, unless you hurt her...then I mean it." Violet laughed when I said that. "Uncle Matt, you go right ahead. My dad is a woss compared to you." I smiled and agreed while going to flex. "Yeah, he definitely doesn't have biceps like these. Fireman versus someone who works in the office. By the way, I want to speak to you quickly."

She nodded and agreed while looking at Dylan. "Go find us a seat near my uncle okay?" He nodded and agreed as he walked away with her mom. I then looked at her and smiled. "He's good right?" Violet then shook her head. "Uncle Matt, he's a good guy. He gets straight A's and he's an honor roll student. He started as my tutor for Math and then it turned to datIng only after the end of my Math class last semester. We literally just started dating over Christmas break. And we only started kissing last week." I nodded and agreed with her.

"Okay. Now onto you wanting to be a paramedic right?" Violet nodded and smiled. "Listen, I want you to come spend some time at the firehouse sometimes. I want you to just see how often it goes out and see if you'd be okay with that. I don't want you to go through it all to just throw it away. Anyways, if you become a paramedic...you are going to come work for me. I mean, I hope." Violet sighed. "I was thinking of going to do it in a quieter house first if that's okay? Just to get used to it. Maybe later I can transfer to your firehouse. Please don't be mad."

I nodded and then went to hug her. "I am never going to be mad with you. But listen, let's go sit down with my kids. I am starting to get hungry." Wrapping my arm around her, I turned to look at Hermann. "Hermann, one caesar salad for me and Gabby. And one for my sister's table too please? Oh and a Coke for me. Water for Gabby." He agreed and nodded. "Got it Chief." I then smiled as I walked away to go sit with the family.